DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Trying to separate the w/less AP from our LAN...

More
06 Jul 2011 12:14 #68503 by ni.co
Hey, Using the Vigor 2930 router and the VigorAP 800.

I want to enable the AP to allow users/customers to have internet access without being able to access our company LAN.

I have tried using the VLAN settings on the router but because we use an internal DNS then the VLAN removes access to it so I can
access everything OK via CMD which is confusing how the Domain names resolve via ping but not when using the browser.

I can also Isolate the LAN on the AP but I get the same issues, I tried using the AP to serve it's own DNS and DHCP but it's not working.

All I'm asking for at the moment is some advice on how to tackle this the best way, I assume that my needs are not far fetched and should be easily implemented
using all the built-in/standard features these two products come with.

Any help would be much appreciated and hopefully help me get this working.

Just to clarify I am not bothered about the router being accessible via the AP as long as none of the client machines are. And I would prefer if the network address was different i.e

Router on 192.168.10.1 and AP serving addresses on 192.168.100.1 but if the wireless clients get a DHCP address from the router instead it is not an issue.

Thanks people!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2011 14:53 #68511 by ni.co
Progress Report:

VLAN set up on router for AP. AP then should dish out it's own DHCP and DNS stuff.

The VLAN Separation works apart from the DHCP and DNS, The AP uses the routers IP settings which means it all works apart from the DNS not resolving because the routers
DNS settings point to a server which manages the internal DNS which we rely on.

What is the correct way to handle this situation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami