Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

3G Dongle Help

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
07 Jul 2011 17:28 #68529 by robster
3G Dongle Help was created by robster
Hi

I now have MOST of what I want working on my 2820 connected to BT Internet on WAN1, so am happy, especially as this is FAR more stable since putting in teh Draytek. :D

One issue I do have is that I do an offsite backup, its only around 100Mb-200Mb BUT as my upload speed is only around 25Kbs this takes a long time and more importantly kills the performance of the rest of my network.

I have a Three USB dongle I no longer use and my idea is to connect this and try and force JUST Backblaze (the backup software) and ONLY Backblaze traffic, over the dongle, this would resolve the performance issue on WAN1.

HOWEVER, I cannot figure out how to make the Dongle connect, or how to direct Backblaze traffic over WAN2 or how to direct SOME traffic through WAN2 so I could test it!

Under WAN - General I have enabled WAN2 and 3G dongle and set to always on.

But Online Status shows it down.

Under WAN - Internet Access I Clicked on WAN2, clicked on Enable and I was asked to reboot.

On rebooting, WAN2 HAD connected via the dongle BUT WAN1 was disabled, so I reversed this damn quick.

Any help on how I can:-

1. Get the dongle to connect
2. access the WAN2 interface to prove it is working and top up my dongle.
3. Direct JUST Backblaze and no other traffic over WAN2?

Help REALLY appreciated.

Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2011 09:29 #68555 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 3G Dongle Help
What modem is it you're using and which firmware do you have on the router?

Once you've got WAN2 working, then you could make a load balance policy for the traffic ports that the backup software uses if it uses something different, or you can specify the destination IP addresses it would use WAN2 for.

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2011 09:35 #68556 by robster
Replied by robster on topic Re: 3G Dongle Help
2820 with current release firmware, updated just 2 weeks ago.

Robin

More
12 Jul 2011 14:43 #68568 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: 3G Dongle Help
Does the modem detect and is it a ZTE MF112? You can check whether it's detecting by looking at the online status page - if it shows an icon of a mobile phone then it's halfway there, if it also shows a signal % under WAN2 then it'll work and just needs the right APN details and this page should be good for that: http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_3g.html

• robster
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jul 2011 21:52 #68584 by robster
Replied by robster on topic Re: 3G Dongle Help
Dongle connects no problem, the issue is, that if the dongle connects WAN1 does not!

And that is BAD.

Robin

Moderators: Sami