DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor Routers 2820 and Terminal Server Access

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jul 2011 11:59 #68697 by mcprescribed
Vigor Routers 2820 and Terminal Server Access was created by mcprescribed
This has been a complete nightmare, I really hope someone can help me out.

Basically our access to our terminal server in HK has been really slow (slow refresh ,cpu is normally under 10%), I added a port for forwarding on the router and it worked fine, a couple weeks later that slowed down.

I have since added around 3 or 4 variations of ports which all have worked and ultimately slowed down.

Our TW office have been blocked out completely (2 occasions noted) from connecting until a new port is configured, whilst the UK office have just had slow access.

I have more information but I will wait to give that (as it may cause contradictions, and at this stage my head is a mess).

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2011 13:53 #68698 by rpg
Is it a router issue? Have you rebooted the router before connecting via a different port? If not, if you do reboot the router can you go back to the standard port 3389?

If 3389 remains slow after a router reboot (possibly at both ends of the connection), then could it be one of the ISP's at either end slowing the connection? i.e. changing to a different port removes the throttling until they notice and throttle the new port.

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jul 2011 15:15 #68701 by mcprescribed
Replied by mcprescribed on topic Re: Vigor Routers 2820 and Terminal Server Access
Thanks for your response!

We continually reboot the router, playing around with the settings and also when trying new ports, you may have a point about the throttling, I wish I could prove it somehow.

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2011 11:21 #68712 by mcprescribed
Replied by mcprescribed on topic Re: Vigor Routers 2820 and Terminal Server Access
To actually answer your initial question, using 3389 seemed fine for a while but it has now since slowed down again.

More
21 Jul 2011 15:13 #68714 by rpg
Maybe the ISP is just throttling excessive traffic no matter which port it is on.

Too much on 3389 and it throttles it. Move it to 3390 and its fine until it hits that limit again and gets throttled.

Why not try a different port for each office. All London staff connect on 33891 and all HK staff connect on 33892 - that may identify if one office is creating more of a problem than the other.

If you have lots of people connecting from each location (and you have enough port redirects) can you setup department port redirects - London Sales on 33891 - London Accounts on 33892, HK Sales on 33893 and HK Accounts on 33894. That may identify if a specific department is causing the problem.

If it is throttling on ports then spreading the load across various ports may resolve the problem.

Richard

• mcprescribed
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2011 15:26 #68715 by mcprescribed
That sounds like a good plan but even the new ports I am opening now seem to be slower, the ISP in HK is being a pain and not really giving us any help.

I'm glad I have a long weekend planned, but my manager is going to hate me.

Thanks for your suggestion, although I had tried that in desperation already to an extent.

Moderators: Sami