DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Newbie Wireless security choice on 2820Vn

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2011 14:13 #68728 by allat39
Hi guys,

I installed the last update on the 2820vn completely clean from scratch.

I want to be really clear about using wireless security. I have configured for WEP made access restricted by MAC address but which would be the best security protocol to use? - I have Windows 7, XP and iPhones.

Thanks

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2011 14:39 #68729 by nealuk
They seem to be shown on the drop down list in order of strength. So currently you being on WEP is the worst. It can be picked up pretty quickly by an eavesdropper. Move up to anything else asap :) I think WPA2 would be the best.

MAC restriction is good.

More
25 Jul 2011 14:54 #68731 by rpg
At the end of the day no wireless security is perfect - you just have to consider what you are protecting and balance that against the cost of the wireless security solutions you select.

A lot of people say that MAC address filtering is pointless as it is so easy to spoof a MAC address. WEP is also quite easily hackable if you have the right tools.

WPA / WPA2 is what most people would consider as an appropriate security level for home use but you may find that your wireless device on the XP machine does not have WPA / WPA2 support. If so then comes down to that balancing act of is it worth updating the wireless device on that XP machine or do you just lower security to WEP.

If you are only trying to protect your online banking details then what you have done would be fine - a hacker is unlikily to sit outside your house trying to hack you when in the next street he is likily to find a completely open and unsecure wireless network. On the other hand if you are working for MI5 or protecting digital secrets about the crown jewels then its definately worth the upgrade to WPA / WPA2, etc.

I'm sure other people will take a different view on this but personally I think a sensible review of risk (what you are protecting and the likihood of attack) against the cost of upgrading to the highest level of security available.

Hope that helps.

Moderators: Sami