DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 & OpenDNS

• sn0wman
  • Topic Author
More
27 Jul 2011 08:45 #68761 by sn0wman
Vigor 120 & OpenDNS was created by sn0wman
I have a Vigor 120 working in Tandem with an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (AEBS) to share an internet connection between multiple users at home. I would like to configure the network to use OpenDNS. To do so, I have been advised that I need to point my home network at the OpenDNS nameservers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). I have also been advised that I need to this on the Vigor as opposed to the AEBS.

Please can you advise how I do this....I am able to log on to the Vigor 120 admin pages but beyond that am not sure where to start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2011 09:17 #68764 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Vigor 120 & OpenDNS
The DNS functionality is handled by your AEBS - not the Vigor 120. The Vigor 120 merely presents your internet line to the AEBS. The AEBS handles you connection log in, DHCP, DNS etc. etc.

If you wish to use the OpenDNS Family Shield service, then the DNS nameserver IP's required would be 208.67.222.123 and 208.67.220.123 - see the OpenDNS site for further info.

Looking at the OpenDNS/Apple forums, there does seem to have been an issue with the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station not passing on the customised DNS out on DHCP to local clients. I'd like to think this would have been fixed by apple now.

Best regards, Neal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami