Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Static Route by URL rather than IP

• siplicity
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2011 11:38 #68866 by siplicity
Static Route by URL rather than IP was created by siplicity
Hi

I have a network with two ADSL connections and two 2820s. I am about to install some VoIP handsets onto the network and would like all of their traffic to route over the secondary connection. Normally I would do this with a static route; however the SIP host are using more than one IP which is fronted up by an address (sip.xxxxxxx.co.uk) which then load balances to multiple IPs at their end.

Is there any way I can tell all traffic for 'sip.xxxxxxx.co.uk' to route over the second connection?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2011 12:00 #68867 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Static Route by URL rather than IP
How about using load balance? Say for example your IP phones are in the range 192.168.1.200-250 then route all traffic from that range over wan 2 with failover to the other wan?

• siplicity
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2011 12:22 #68869 by siplicity
Replied by siplicity on topic Re: Static Route by URL rather than IP
Hi Nealuk

The problem is I want the handsets to be DHCP clients and therefore they won't be on a unique IP range.

I'm trying to avoid having to hard code anything in the phones or router (apart from the initail routing config), so that the users can take phones home if they like and be able to pick up a DHCP address, and so that if they require additional handsets in the future they will simply be 'plug and play'.

Tom.

More
04 Aug 2011 12:49 #68871 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Static Route by URL rather than IP
Hi Tom, I have 10 IP handsets which boot up set to DHCP, the draytek then, using MAC reservations, gives the IP phone an IP, which in my case is between 192.168.0.10-192.168.0.20.

I see what you mean about futureproofing for new handsets.

Do you know what the IP range will be that sip.xxxxx.co.uk resolves to ? Will they always be the same?

Then you could use load balance to say if Destination is in range 85.92.66.0 - 85.92.79.255 for example use WAN2

Regards, Neal

• siplicity
  • Topic Author
More
04 Aug 2011 13:29 #68872 by siplicity
Replied by siplicity on topic Re: Static Route by URL rather than IP
Hi Neal

I had thought about MAC binding but it does cause hassle for futureproofing as you mentioned.

The idea about the range that the address resolves to is a good one though!

The SIP carrier have said that if I want I can direct the static route at one of their IPs but they don't want me doing that every time as it will mess up their load balancing. But if I can get the load balancing to redirect based on a range, that would work.

Also, do you know if I could load balance based upon port range? The SIP connections must use a particular set of ports.

Many thanks,

Tom.

Moderators: ChrisSami