DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WAN 2 -what is possible and what is best practice?

• simonog
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2011 10:47 #69069 by simonog
I have 2 adsl lines.

Line 1 comes in through 2820 VN router to a network with local addresses 10.x.x.x

Line 2 comes in through a different router to a network with local addresses 192.x.x.x

I would like to connect the WAN2 port on the 2820 on to the other network so that anything on the first network has a backup internet connection.

What settings can I use for WAN2?

Is there a best practice for using 2 adsl lines and a 28xx router?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2011 16:21 #69073 by rpg
thats not a problem. Just set WAN2 to pick up IP address from DHCP which is likily to be either the other router or some server on that network.

You then need to setup some load Balancing rules. Either ALL traffic goes via WAN1 with WAN2 as failover OR you setup specific rules for internal IP, destination IP or port (or a combination of all three) with some traffic going via WAN1 and some traffic going via WAN2.

The WAN1 / WAN2 thing is just load balancing though and you do need to carefully think about what traffic you want to go where. The offering is NOT bonding (joining the two lines together for double speed).

• simonog
  • Topic Author
More
18 Aug 2011 22:12 #69075 by simonog
Thank you - I have set it up without any rules so far and it works fine and failover occurs.

One more question: What happens to traffic types for which I have not designed a route? which way do they go?

simon

More
19 Aug 2011 20:06 #69093 by rpg
The default route is WAN1 unless you have load balancing in place with different rules.

I do remember talk on the forum of being able to change that "default" from WAN1 to WAN2 though but I think that was a command prompt thing.

• simonog
  • Topic Author
More
19 Aug 2011 23:06 #69094 by simonog
Very clear - thank you

Moderators: Sami