DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820, WAN1, WAN2 & Load-Balancing?

• glynh
  • Topic Author
More
20 Aug 2011 19:34 #69098 by glynh
2820, WAN1, WAN2 & Load-Balancing? was created by glynh
I have had my DrayTek Vigor 2820Vn working well for a few years now connected to O2 on their up to 24MB service although my router reports connection @7.1MB real world testing indicates 5-6MB Download & 750KB Upload speeds.

Yesterday I had BT Infinity FTTC installed and according to the Engineers equipment I have 40MB/10MB although earlier line tests indicated 32MB/8MB which I am still pleased about.

I have setup WAN2 to listen for a PPoE signal and plugged a Cat6 cable from the BT vDSL modem to 2820 WAN2 port.

Router showing WAN2 connected and reporting IP address & Gateway correctly. So far so good.

Now here is where it gets interesting (confusing) :) and I would like some advice on a few scenarios here please if possible;

1. If I wanted to set WAN2 as the default connection ie. the connection used by EVERYTHING on the network and just use WAN1 as failover where & what settings would I change to achieve this please?

2. If I wanted to set one or more specific DEVICES to use WAN2 ie. Workstation, TV etc where/what/how would I achieve this please?

3. if I wanted certain PROGRAMS or specific APPLICATIONS to access WAN2 in preference to WAN1 (or vice-versa of course) what would I need to setup to achieve this please?

Hopefully if I can get my head round the above I will be well on my way to understanding how it all works and will save struggling & asking lots more questions! :)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• glynh
  • Topic Author
More
22 Aug 2011 09:57 #69107 by glynh
Replied by glynh on topic Re: 2820, WAN1, WAN2 & Load-Balancing?
In the absence of a reply and not wishing to wait until after the weekend to get an answer from DrayTek (I am nothing if not impatient) :) it appears I may have answered my own question.

I was reading through the DrayTek Telnet Commands Reference Guide and came across the 'ip route' command.

If issued 'ip route default ?' the status of the static path should be displayed as either wan1, wan2 or off. Mine revealed nothing ie. off.

If I then issued 'ip route default wan2' the 2820 seemed to make WAN2 the default route...according to my speedtesting where before most of the time WAN1 was being used by default as my speeds were 5-6MB down & 750KB up with the odd test being 35MB/7MB

Since issuing the above command all of the numerous speedtests I have done have indicated 35MB/7MB.

A quick 'ip route default ?' returns the status as wan2 so it looks like it has stuck.

The US DrayTek website has an entry in the FAQ that seemed to back this up although there was a preliminary step in Load-Balancing that I ignored but as I said it seems to work.

Link here FYI and that of others who might want to tread the same path;

http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportFAQDetail.php?ID=2034

I would welcome any other comments on whether this 'solution' seems to be the way to go or not and I may still email DrayTek for their response but in the meantime it all appears to be working...for the moment anyway! :)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami