2930Vn Dual WAN SMTP routing

• dchester
  • Topic Author
More
25 Aug 2011 16:30 #1 by dchester
2930Vn Dual WAN SMTP routing was created by dchester
Hi,

Two points please...

I have a client with two incoming broadband lines with different ISPs currently using Cisco 877 routers for failover and load balancing.

Point1: The customer has two email gateways which wash emails before forwarding to their exchange server.
SMTP email comes in through both broadband lines. The Cisco routers each have SMTP port 25 forwarded to one on the two email gateways. This provides fault tollerance so if one ISP, one ADSL line, one router or one email server goes down, email will still flow in and out of the building. DNS is hosted elsewhere.

We are upgrading the existing ADSL lines to become Virgin cable and BT Wholesale FTTC (Infinity) and want to use a Vigor 2930Vn dual WAN router to replace the two Cisco 877 ADSL routers they currently use. Virgin cable is already in and BT FTTC is going in shortly.

Point 1: So, what I am asking is; can the Vigor 2930 forward SMTP email port 25 from the new Virgin fibre on WAN1 to one of the email gateway servers, while also forwarding email port 25 from the new BT FTTC line on WAN2 to the other email gateway server?

Point 2: We also have a Cisco to Cisco VPN tunnel with a maintenance company using one of the Cisco routers. There are also several home workers who use the Cisco VPN client to log into the server or their workstations from home or on holiday using the second Cisco router. From what I understand from a whitepaper here and google searches, it is possible that these links can continue with my customer using the Vigor 2930 router in place of the old Cisco units. Can someone please confirm this before we commit? Vig 2930Vn can create VPN tunnel with Cisco router at other end and people can also use VPN tunnel to 2930 using their existing Cisco software client?

Incidentally for those wondering, the customer has a spare server chassis all ready to go should the main Exchange or AD servers die and will also have a spare Vigor 2930 ready to plug in should that unit fail.

Thanks for the help
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami