DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Accessing vigor 120 interface while connected to WAN port.

• dreadnought
  • Topic Author
More
01 Sep 2011 19:44 #69192 by dreadnought
Hello all!

As from thread title i have a Vigor120 connected to the WAN port of a Vigor 2920n.
I would like to access the web interface of the Vigor120, while it is connected to the WAN port and ADSL is up.
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks in advance... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2011 00:51 #69304 by john rumm
Yup, easy enough with a bit of lateral thinking! First setup the 120 with its own static IP address that is different from that of the main router, but still on the same subnet. So for example if the main router is on 192.168.1.1, set the 120 to 192.168.1.2 (and make sure the DHCP pool on the router starts higher than both those).

Now plug the 120 into one of the LAN ports of the router (or a spare port on an external switch if you are using one), and connect a second LAN port to the WAN port. The WAN port of the 120 is now visible to both the WAN connection of the router, and on your LAN.

More
12 Sep 2011 13:48 #69321 by thrain
It's a shame the thing doesn't come with a management port as well as an ethernet port, doing this uses up two ports rather than one if a management port was available :(

More
13 Sep 2011 14:47 #69343 by thrain

John Rumm wrote: Yup, easy enough with a bit of lateral thinking! First setup the 120 with its own static IP address that is different from that of the main router, but still on the same subnet. So for example if the main router is on 192.168.1.1, set the 120 to 192.168.1.2 (and make sure the DHCP pool on the router starts higher than both those).

Now plug the 120 into one of the LAN ports of the router (or a spare port on an external switch if you are using one), and connect a second LAN port to the WAN port. The WAN port of the 120 is now visible to both the WAN connection of the router, and on your LAN.

Problem with this is that the PPPoE packets are now seen on the local LAN, try running up wireshark.

More
15 Sep 2011 20:00 #69398 by john rumm

Thrain wrote:

John Rumm wrote: Yup, easy enough with a bit of lateral thinking! First setup the 120 with its own static IP address that is different from that of the main router, but still on the same subnet. So for example if the main router is on 192.168.1.1, set the 120 to 192.168.1.2 (and make sure the DHCP pool on the router starts higher than both those).

Problem with this is that the PPPoE packets are now seen on the local LAN, try running up wireshark.

Not sure it is a problem... firstly the local LAN speed will typically be well in excess of the modem speed, so you are not going to be using a significant amount of LAN bandwidth with the extra traffic. Secondly, and probably more importantly, any modern network switch will partition the traffic such that most network ports won't actually see them anyway.

(On my setup I use a couple of the 2820s ports to connect the 120 as described above, and then a 16 port gigabit switch for the LAN with a single connection to another port of the 2820 for internet access. Running wireshark on any of the LAN machines does not show any PPPoE packets)

More
16 Sep 2011 15:25 #69406 by thrain

John Rumm wrote:

Thrain wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
(On my setup I use a couple of the 2820s ports to connect the 120 as described above, and then a 16 port gigabit switch for the LAN with a single connection to another port of the 2820 for internet access. Running wireshark on any of the LAN machines does not show any PPPoE packets)

The 120 goes in and out of your 2820 and all your servers are conncected to the 16 port gigabit switch, I wonder if you'd see them if you were connected to the 2820 when running up wireshark.

When I connected the 120 in and out my Timecapsule I saw PPPoE PADI packets.

Moderators: Sami