DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Accessing vigor 120 interface while connected to WAN port.

More
10 Oct 2011 20:07 #69640 by john rumm

John Rumm wrote:
(On my setup I use a couple of the 2820s ports to connect the 120 as described above, and then a 16 port gigabit switch for the LAN with a single connection to another port of the 2820 for internet access. Running wireshark on any of the LAN machines does not show any PPPoE packets)

Thrain wrote: The 120 goes in and out of your 2820 and all your servers are conncected to the 16 port gigabit switch, I wonder if you'd see them if you were connected to the 2820 when running up wireshark.

When I connected the 120 in and out my Timecapsule I saw PPPoE PADI packets.

Out of interest, I had cause to do this the other day - had the 120 connected to the WAN port of the 2820 via the gigabit switch. Ran wireshark on one of the attached PCs, and sent and received various traffic types through the 120 WAN. No sight no sound of PPPoE packets visible on the PC, so the switch was doing what you would expect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2011 11:13 #70427 by macfusion
It seems that Draytek don't want to implement this, so my advice is purchase a Netgear DM111P whose management interface you can see even when it's connected to an ADSL service. Maybe the loss in revenue will wake someone up.

More
24 Feb 2012 15:45 #71367 by dewidaniels

macfusion wrote: It seems that Draytek don't want to implement this, so my advice is purchase a Netgear DM111P whose management interface you can see even when it's connected to an ADSL service. Maybe the loss in revenue will wake someone up.

I just bought a Vigor 120. I agree that it's a very silly decision on Draytek's part not to make the web interface accessible when the modem is connected to the WAN port on a router.

More
28 Feb 2012 19:06 #71397 by rogercorte
I think it's a very bad design choice too. You can't see the CRC error rates and real status of the ADSL connection in most real life situations.
Does anyone know a work around?

More
02 Mar 2012 09:41 #71422 by frag
You cant access the web page for the modem when its in use for a very good reason... it is not part of the local subnet, it is part of the WAN connection... can you access the devices used at the exchange? No. Same principle.

However, there is a simple solution... have the 120 plugged in to a hub/switch before being plugged into the router. Want to access the modem? plug a test laptop/pc into the switch and access it by setting the laptops LAN settings like so:

IP 192.168.2.10
Mask: 255.255.255.0
GW: 192.168.2.1

Then just put 192.168.2.1 into your browser and hey presto, you can check the line statisitcs.

Moderators: Sami