Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

No GUI, can't upgrade firmware on 2800VGi

• 6robsmith9
  • Topic Author
More
04 Sep 2011 00:04 #69213 by 6robsmith9
No GUI, can't upgrade firmware on 2800VGi was created by 6robsmith9
Hi,
I have bought a 2800VGi off eBay and it's not working for me. I have two other 2800 VG routers so I thought I knew what I was doing. :o

Out the box, no DSL connection yet at this house, have tried 2 ethernet cables
I turn it on and press the reset button and the far left hand light (ACT) does not flash flash rapidly, so I wonder if it is resetting properly.
The far 2 left hand lights settle down to flash together (I read this was a good sign)
I can ping 192.168.1.1 and it returns the ping
It gets an ipaddress, according to ipconfig but says my.router in the DNS suffix (not seen that on the others)
Ipconfig says default gateway is at 192.168.1.1
I can not access the router GUI on http://192.168.1.1 using either IE8 or latest Firefox, it times out
When I try to run the Draktek Firmware upgrade utility then it does not find the 2800 as an online router. The IP address assigned and subnet mask is correct under the NIC Select box.
I can't telnet into it. run:telnet 192.168.1.1 times out

Any ideas highly appreciated, thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2011 11:29 #69230 by nealuk
Are there any clues in the "Abnormal" section of http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_reflash.html#reflash ?

• 6robsmith9
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2011 22:28 #69254 by 6robsmith9
Replied by 6robsmith9 on topic Re: No GUI, can't upgrade firmware on 2800VGi
Brilliant, thank you so much.
TFTP into the router and firmware flash via that method was the solution. All working perfectly now.

For everybody else's reference I learned the last 2 lights flashing on the 2800VGi is not a good sign, means that the router has either been booted in TFTP mode (by pressing factory reset and turning on) or (as in my case) the router is having problems with the firmware installed.

Moderators: Sami