DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820 - change load balance policy via ssh?

• testerro
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2011 13:26 #69233 by testerro
Is it possible to edit load balance policy via ssh? The router does not properly detect when my WAN2 link is down, so I manually monitor the link status from my computer. The only missing piece is an ability to edit the load balance policy remotely in an automated way, so that no traffic is router through the dead link. Is there any way to achieve this via ssh console?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2011 14:05 #69235 by nealuk
Out of interest, what is connected to WAN2 ?

• testerro
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2011 16:35 #69236 by testerro
There is a cable modem connected to WAN2 with a single Ethernet port. My Vigor 2820 router gets WAN2 ip address from that modem. But when the cable network is down, the cable modem assigns a local IP to the Vigor router, which breaks the "ARP detect" mode for WAN Connection Detection.

I have ARP detection set for WAN1 (ASDL modem) and it works correctly. When WAN1 is down, the traffic is switched to WAN2. Unfortunately, because of the way the cable router works, the traffic is not switched from WAN2 to WAN1 when the cable network is down if I use ARP detection. And ping detection doesn't work for WAN2 at all - when I turn this option on the Vigor router shows that BOTH of my internet connections are down. It seems like a bug in the firmware (I tried a few different versions, including the latest 3.3.5.2_232201).

To work around this issue, I set up my own ping detection script on one of the routers in my local network. It works perfectly - the only missing part is a way to tell Vigor 2820 that WAN2 is down and the traffic needs to be switched to WAN1. It would be best if this effect could be achieved by modifying the Load Balance Policy. This way I would be able to switch my internet traffic to WAN1, except for the script probing the WAN2 status.

More
05 Sep 2011 22:42 #69239 by nealuk
I thought a cable modem might be the case! I had that too.

We have a static IP/fixed IP with our cable provider. So I changed from Obtain automatically DHCP
to Specify an IP and punched in our details 82.nn.nn.nn subnet mask 255.255.255.240 gateway address 82.nn.nn.nn and the ISP DNS 194.168.4.123 and 194.168.8.123

This now allows the Vigor to report more to my liking the "correct failure" of the cable network as and when that happens :)

Hope this may give you the solution you're looking for.

Best regards, Neal

• testerro
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2011 23:13 #69241 by testerro
Unfortunately we don't have a static IP, the cable provider assigns it dynamically. So we can't disable DHCP for WAN2.

It's a shame that the ping detection method doesn't work at all, it would solve all our problems.

More
06 Sep 2011 08:51 #69242 by nealuk
Thanks for the update testerro. Even though you are on dynamic allocation, I think that the cable providers gateway would stay the same. So a workaround might be to have the ping detection pinging the cable provider gateway. In the event of there being a cable outage, and the modem issued IP going to the local 192.168.x.x range you would get your desired result?

Moderators: Sami