DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Update for Macintosh version of Draytek Syslog?

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2011 13:55 #69342 by ncollingridge
The current version of Draytek Syslog for the Mac (v1.1 on the Router tools disk image v2.4.5) only contains PowerPC code and has not been compiled as a Universal package. Is there any prospect of a re-compile for this utility? I have not found any other Syslog utility that replicates the Draytek Syslog functionality so its loss with my move to Lion is rather tragic for tracking the occasional problems with my ADSL connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2011 14:51 #69344 by thrain
Check out the free version of Splunk http://www.splunk.com/ you should be good for 500MB/day

I run it on an old pc running FreeBSD.

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 01:17 #69356 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: Update for Macintosh version of Draytek Syslog?
You're not seriously suggesting that Splunk is an alternative to the Draytek Syslog app are you?

More
14 Sep 2011 16:05 #69373 by thrain
Have you ever tried it, its worth a look if you havent, you can get some very nice reports out and searching for events is very easy.

Whats the point of having syslog set up if the server isnt running all the time.

Or you could just set up syslog on the Mac and get your Draytek stuff to forward to it, I think you'll have more luck then Draytek recompiling the software.

• ncollingridge
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 22:38 #69384 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: Update for Macintosh version of Draytek Syslog?
I have tried to use Splunk and it seems totally tortuous. It is essentially from what I can tell (and I found the documentation very obtuse) a command line tool which you access from a browser. But just try looking at the website for a start as if you were coming to the product for the first time - "Splunk is the engine for machine data. It collects, indexes and harnesses the machine data generated by all your IT systems and infrastructure— physical, virtual and in the cloud".

All I want to do is see the syslog output from my router, and of that all I am actually interested in is the call history. Why do I have to install such a complex product with such a breadth of capability if that is all I want to do?

The Draytek tool is excellent for my purpose except simply for its lack of Intel compatibility, which should be easily solvable with a straightforward recompile with a different switch. It has a surprisingly good UI, it is a simple application without any other gubbins to install, and there is nothing to configure except to tell the router to send stuff to the right IP address.

PLEASE can Draytek recompile it to produce a Universal binary?

More
14 Sep 2011 23:22 #69385 by thrain
Looks like Draytek have totally lost interest in the Mac, the router tools are dated march 2007.

You could always run it under windows on your Mac using something like virtual box http://www.virtualbox.org/ but then you'd need to buy a copy of Windows.

Actually maybe you could use react os http://www.reactos.org/ under virtual box

Moderators: Sami