DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2710 Static IP address

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
13 Sep 2011 19:36 #69351 by eddscott
Vigor 2710 Static IP address was created by eddscott
We have a 2930vn at work and I have a 2710 at home. I'm trying to get the routers to connect LAN to LAN but not having much luck.

I've asked for 2 fixed IP addresses per site (eclipse) and when setting up the internet access "PPPoE / PPPoA Client Mode" it gives me the option to enter a fixed IP rather than Dynamic.

However, when I make these changes and assign IP addresses manually to my home PC I can't access the internet anymore (although I can still access the router settings)

What am I doing wrong (I'm doing it all wrong obviously but in particular the above) - haven't even got close to getting them to connect to each other yet but its early days - I've tried the guide but no success as yet.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2011 22:13 #69354 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: Vigor 2710 Static IP address
Hello, I'm confused as to the purpose of asking your ISP for a block of 2 fixed IP's for each connection.

Setting it up may be eased looking at these guides:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_multinat.html

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html

I have a feeling that the 2710, being simplified, can only dial out for VPN's

Your Home network and Work network are in different number ranges ? e.g. not both 192.168.0.x ?

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 10:37 #69360 by eddscott
Replied by eddscott on topic Re: Vigor 2710 Static IP address
Asking for the static IPs was mainly so if I could setup my home router to connect to the work router using the static IPs then I'd know how to setup the work router - probably not that wise I guess.

We have various different model of Vigor router in 4 locations plus the head office. If I can work out how to set up the 2930 to allow incoming access from the 2710 then I should be able to transfer those settings roughly to the other routers within the company.

Thanks for the links, I'll try working through them and see how I get on.

If I get the LAN to LAN working, will it be like seeing remote computers on the head office network - similar to now where we can see all the computers connected locally at the head office?

More
14 Sep 2011 10:52 #69361 by nealuk

EddScott wrote: ...If I get the LAN to LAN working, will it be like seeing remote computers on the head office network - similar to now where we can see all the computers connected locally at the head office?

Yes - absolutely :)

• eddscott
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 12:09 #69365 by eddscott
Replied by eddscott on topic Re: Vigor 2710 Static IP address
I've followed the guides as best I can. If I can at least get the 2930 set correctly in the office I have a chance of accessing the network at home later.

One thing though, on the WAN Internet Access page do I leave "Obtain an IP address automatically" or "Specify an IP address"

I've tried the "Specifcy an IP adress" but I get Status: Invalid in the bottom left of the screen.

Not sure if it's relevant, but as the 2930 doesn't have ADSL on board, I'm using an old Vigor 2700 to connect to the internet - would this cause me any problems with the setup?

Many thanks

More
14 Sep 2011 13:39 #69368 by nealuk

EddScott wrote: ...as the 2930 doesn't have ADSL on board, I'm using an old Vigor 2700 to connect to the internet - would this cause me any problems with the setup?...

Yes, you'll be going through Double NAT. You'll need the VPN configured using Peer ID to get aound this.

Moderators: Sami