DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

120 modem has become unreliable - any ideas?

• williamw
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 11:21 #69362 by williamw
I have two ADSL connections: Zen for general internet use and Opal/TalkTalk Business for VOIP. Earlier this year (February?) I bought a 2820 and 120, with Zen on the 2820 ADSL port and the 120 modem connected to Opal and the 2820 WAN port. It all worked perfectly until 3 weeks ago, when the Opal service (via the 120) started dropping. Opal said there seemed to be some cyclic activity over a 15 minute period (approx) but they could find no line faults. I used the ADSL port on the 2820 to test and check SNR figures for both services (about 12 - 13 dB) which agreed with what Opal were telling me. The Zen service via the ADSL port was flawless. I changed ADSL filter on the Opal line, but no difference.

I then swapped the services over completely, reprogramming the router settings accordingly, so that Opal came in on the 2820 ADSL port, and Zen via the 120. It worked fine for one day, and then the Zen circuit started dropping just like the opal one did. So now my phone calls are reliable, but not general web access. That means the 120 is the problem, I think.

The 120 web management page shows it is a Vigor 120 v2 running 3.2.4.4 firmware, 321311_A hardware Annex A.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2011 12:59 #69366 by nealuk
Yes, pop the Vigor 120 V2 on to the latest firmware: 3.2.6

If your TalkTalkBusiness/Opal Line is ADSL2 (very likely as they tend to have their own kit in most exchanges for LLU) then get Modem Code 3471101

For best results use the rst (reset, don't keep any settings) file - i.e. v12x_a10_326.rst

If you're on ADSL1 ( up to 8M down ) stick with the STD version.

ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor120%20V2/Firmware/V3.2.6/AnnexA/

The 3471101 seems to have gone, I've put it here: 413.org.uk/vigor

Regards, Neal

• williamw
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 15:06 #69370 by williamw
Neal

1. Thanks for prompt reply.
2. Looking at theDraytek support download page, and according to that I my 120 has the current firmware (3.2.4.4).... just checked again and there seems to be no listing for a 120 v2. Does the 'v2' make a difference?
3. The Opal/TalkTalk Busienss line is currently attached to the ADSL port on my 2820, and on the status page it is showing as ADSL2+. Zen is now on the 120 box, and behaving just like opal did - ie intermittently. However, I'm pretty sure the Zen service is >8M down.

I have found v12x_a10_326.rst you specified by digging around on the link you gave me*, but (for others following this thread) I cannot see where it is available on the main Draytek download area...

I will now install it and call back.

William

* I found it at ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor120%20V2/Firmware/V3.2.6/AnnexA_2/

• williamw
  • Topic Author
More
14 Sep 2011 22:02 #69380 by williamw
Well .... I reset and power cycled router and modem about 6 hours ago. All went well for the first 40 minutes so I left it. Came back now and I see that WAN2 on my router has restarted about 2 hours ago - so unless that was a Zen problem (unlikely) then I still have a problem. Oh dear...

Further ideas welcome.

More
14 Sep 2011 22:09 #69381 by nealuk

williamw wrote: ...Looking at theDraytek support download page, and according to that I my 120 has the current firmware (3.2.4.4).... just checked again and there seems to be no listing for a 120 v2. Does the 'v2' make a difference?...

The draytek UK website, is often slow to show 'new' products. The 2955 was out for a year before included, and at the moment the Vigor 120 V2 isn't shown.

The Vigor 120 V2 is a completely different piece of hardware with different (non-interchangeable) firmwares.

3.2.4.4 is the current latest firmware for the Vigor 120 ( = Vigor 120 V1 ).

Well done finding that file. I can see it myself now too.

More
14 Sep 2011 22:11 #69382 by nealuk

williamw wrote: Well .... I reset and power cycled router and modem about 6 hours ago. All went well for the first 40 minutes so I left it. Came back now and I see that WAN2 on my router has restarted about 2 hours ago - so unless that was a Zen problem (unlikely) then I still have a problem. Oh dear...

Further ideas welcome.

I am aware of a 120 on a Zen line that has poor uptimes. Check carefully that the Service Name is blank. Also try the ip arp accept 1 sys commit sys reboot tip here: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor100_setup.html

Moderators: Sami