DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can a 2900 series do this?

• stanleyes
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2011 19:00 #69441 by stanleyes
Can a 2900 series do this? was created by stanleyes
On our site we have 2 companies (A & B) in adjacent buildings. Until today we have had a single ADSL connection routed to both companies. The connection is slow and unreliable, adding another ADSL is not an option as all the lines within the BT cable are used. Company B has just had Satellite installed, this is working with a Hughes HN9200 Modem (Manual here http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1038623-0001_b.pdf ) providing DCHP in the range 10.0.0.1 > 10.0.0.253. This cannot be changed as it's set by the Sat company.

The original ADSL connection uses a Netgear ADSL Router and provdies DCHP in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.253 to company A's PC's. Although it's now unplugged an Ethernet cable to this connection is still available in Compant B's building.

What i would like to do is:

1. Add a H/W Firewall to the Sat Connection (This is the priority as the HN9200 does not have one)

2. Possibly use the original ADSL connection as a secondary link should the Satellite go down.

I thought all i needed was a dual WAN Router but now i'm not so sure, Speciaifically:

1. Looking at the Draytek manual it seems the WAN ports have to be configured as either PPPoE, PPTP or Satic/Dynamic IP. This is all new to me but i cannot see how any of these will work with the Sat modem. The Sat Modem does not appear to have login details like an ADSL modem and i certainly cannot see any bridge or half bridge modes. Is there any device which will sit between the Sat Modem RJ45 and the LAN to provide a firewall function?

2. Similar to above, the ADSL Router must remain responsible for performing the ADSL logon so company A maintains their connection. So, although possible, i cannot put the ADSL Router into half bridge mode (PPPoE Passthru or whatever you want to call it) either. Is there a way to make the 2900 communicate with the ADSL router via WAN2 when WAN1 fails?

If it helps i do have full access to changing Company A's address range and ADSL router settings.

I'm new this so if i have missed something simple please say so.

thanks Guy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stanleyes
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2011 19:44 #69442 by stanleyes
Replied by stanleyes on topic Re: Can a 2900 series do this?
Doh!!!

Just read this post http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15991 which made perfect sense but i thought i'd already tried it.

Then i discovered i hadn't connected the ADSL Router to the WAN2 port on the Draytek!

Please ignore the drivel in my last post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami