DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710Vn Drops DSL Connection on Incoming Calls

• dave.mccreath@gmail.com
  • Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2011 08:32 #69460 by dave.mccreath@gmail.com
2710Vn Drops DSL Connection on Incoming Calls was created by dave.mccreath@gmail.com
Hi

Bit of a strange one here and it's taken a while to identify the fault. My 2710Vn drops the DSL connection and re-syncs the DSL line every time we have an incoming call (not using VOIP at all, straightforward BT line).

BT have been round to test the line change the pair et al and everything is fine. BT's hand-held test router saw the line coming in at 2.5Meg my 2710 comes in at 3.5Meg. On instructions I've chanaged over to another router for a while to try and replicate the fault (Belkin N1 - yuch), this sync's at 2Meg and with no line fault at all apart from much lower sync speeds.

Is this because the 2710 is much more sensitive or is there a setting somewhere I'm missing? I'm using the latest firmware.

Anyone else seen a similar fault?

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2011 15:51 #69463 by j03y
You've probably tried it but have you tried changing the microfilter? Sounds like a signal seperation issue. The Belkin might cope with it better because it's syncing lower.

• Topic Author
More
23 Sep 2011 19:34 #69466 by dave.mccreath@gmail.com
Replied by dave.mccreath@gmail.com on topic Re: 2710Vn Drops DSL Connection on Incoming Calls
J03y

Thanks for getting back to me, I did have a new OpenReach faceplate on the BT socket, changed it last week for an ADSL Nation variant (works better), but same issue. I should add that I've only one phone and this still occurs even when the phone is not plugged into the BT socket.

Dave

More
26 Sep 2011 09:03 #69475 by j03y
So your wiring is good. My guess is that the Belkin is configured at firmware level to be more conservative than the Draytek.

If your SNR margin is low already, under 5 Db or less, a call may produce enough cross talk to knock the Draytek out. You can check this by logging onto the router's web interface, clicking online status on the left then physical connection. SNR margin should be at the bottom of that page. What is it when connected and does it drop any lower when a call is received?

As a next step you could try modem code 211801 which is suggested by Draytek for lines below 4Mb/s for the 2820 routers. You won't get 3.5 Mb/s with this code but as far as I'd be concerned that's an unsustainable rate anyway.

2710 3.3.6.1 Annex A 211801 Firmware: ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/V3.3.6.1/Annex%20A/Vigor2710V3.3.6.1A211801.zip

You may be best off contacting Draytek support as it could be a hardware fault with this firmware or others anyway.

• Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2011 17:16 #69561 by dave.mccreath@gmail.com
Replied by dave.mccreath@gmail.com on topic Re: 2710Vn Drops DSL Connection on Incoming Calls
J03y

Apologiesfor not getting back sooner but I've just returned from a week away in Cornwall (certainly picked the right week!).

Tried your suggestion and it works fine, incoming calls no longer cause the router to re-boot. As you said, my download speed is slightly affected, I'm now synching at 3Meg as opposed to 3.5 Meg.

Many thanks indeed.

Dave

More
03 Oct 2011 10:13 #69563 by j03y
Glad to hear that sorted it for you. Happy surfing!

Moderators: Sami