DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 and 2830 dropping IAX after some time

More
13 Oct 2011 21:54 #69685 by daviesap
Replied by daviesap on topic Re: 2820 and 2830 dropping IAX after some time
Has anyone with the Beta software had success?

This is causing us a real problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2011 11:46 #69706 by chazeg
We had similar issue on 2820's and IAX2 traffic. IAX2 is preferable over SIP as it only requires one open port 4569 UDP

Try turning off DoS defense.

I think more specifically it was:

Firewall -> DoS Defence -> Enable UDP flood defense [untick!]

• bigchrisw
  • Topic Author
More
17 Oct 2011 12:30 #69710 by bigchrisw
Replied by bigchrisw on topic Re: 2820 and 2830 dropping IAX after some time
Hi all

Just to note, I'm using IAX, not SIP. There is SIP on the network, but it's all internal (ie doesn't pass through the Draytek). The Asterisk box deals with SIP to all the local phones and just makes a single IAX connection to a remotely hosted server via the Draytek.

The ARP table issue cannot be the cause as the Asterisk server performs several other functions (for example, DNS) and that continues to work. If the MAC was missing from the Draytek's ARP table it would not be able to communicate with the WAN and perform the DNS lookups to pass on to internal clients.

I don't have any of the DOS defence switched on so it can't be that either. That was my first thought on the problem though so I see where you're coming from!

I can confirm that rebooting the router OR changing the port number makes the problem go away so it must be some bug in the NAT implementation in the Draytek.

Chris

www.chrisw.net

More
09 Nov 2011 12:36 #69992 by briain
Hi

I've been having a nightmare of a time with the 2820vn and an 802.11 phone for almost 2 years. I have one wired phone (to the router's phone socket) which works flawlessly, and I also have an 802.11 SIP phone (Cisco WIP 310) connected via a Cisco WAP to the 2820's Ethernet port (the Draytek's 'internal' SIP service is on post 5060 and the WIP 310 is on 5062). I've tried everything imaginable to get this to work (and now even have the 2820 set to reboot every day) but it seems to be an extremely unhappy combination. Others have had issues with that phone so I used to think that the WIP310 was mostly to blame (I've had no response to my requests sent to Cisco support) but I think the Draytek is also adding to the problems.

The phone often fails to register (setting the 2820 to automatically reboot every day has helped, but it still sometimes happens) and almost every call drops after between 20 and 30 seconds. I have had an entire 10 minute call on it (once; it almost turned me 'spiritual'; I thought of wearing beads, climbing Glastonbury Tor and clashing cymbals together at dawn) but other than that, I think the maximum call I've had has lasted about 2 minutes before dropping out (that has turned me 'spiritual'; I've been hitting the bottle ever since). I was going to cut my losses, just bucket the Cisco WIP310 (painful as it cost a lot of money) and seek something else, but I'm just not sure that it's not partially a Draytek issue.

I shall watch this thread with great interest (and a very large whisky)! :)

Bri

More
09 Nov 2011 23:56 #70001 by voodle
If it's the 2820 that's causing those problems then I'd look at wireless interference first of all - you can limit it by changing the channels until you find one that the phone can use that isn't used by other APs and you can decrease the channel bandwidth to 20mhz from the WLAN > Advanced settings > Channel Bandwidth setting.

Also update to 3.3.7 as well (you can get it from the http://www.draytek.com site right now) as the release notes make mention of both wireless fixes and NAT fixes, both of which I think will be helpful for you - you won't have to reboot the 2820 every day any more as that particular issue is the NAT / firewall one which that firmware fixes (I've been testing some of the beta firmwares).

More
10 Nov 2011 12:12 #70008 by briain
Hi

Thank you very much for the link to the FW update; I'll look at the release notes (and install it) this morning and let you know how I get on. :D

Thanks also for responding with the wireless ideas, but I have tried all these sorts of things and none help. I actually abandoned the Draytek 802.11 section a few years back; Draytek went through a very flaky patch with buggy wireless performance in their firmwares. I guess this has all been totally resolved for some time now, but back then I moved to using a Cisco 1200 WAP and then just under years ago I upgraded to a Cisco 1252 WAP (to benefit from their Client Link enhancements to 11g devices). With both these WAP's, you can set the maximum data rates to any of the below (copied and pasted from it's config page; I didn't type all that manually):

1.0Mb/sec
2.0Mb/sec
5.5Mb/sec
11.0Mb/sec
6.0Mb/sec
9.0Mb/sec
12.0Mb/sec
18.0Mb/sec
24.0Mb/sec
36.0Mb/sec
48.0Mb/sec
54.0Mb/sec

I've tried capping to even lowest data rates (and thus using the more robust modulation schemes of both 11b and 11g) and it just doesn't make any difference. I've even fired up my HP microwave spectrum analyser to see if I can spot any bursts of 2.4 GHz interference, but again it all looks pretty clear (well, as clear as 2.4G can be). In any case, the phone sometimes drops the call when I'm standing in my hall and thus only a few feet from the WAP's antennas, so any interfering 2.4G signal would have to be seriously loud to knock it out at that range; it would have to be a neighbour who operates their microwave oven without a door on it, and if that is the case, I'm sure they (and thus the interference) will not last much longer! :)

Bri

Moderators: Sami