DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Given up with the 2820

• adrianh
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2011 14:23 #1 by adrianh
Given up with the 2820 was created by adrianh
Well, the Draytek2820 is now consigned to sitting in its box on a shelf, relegated to being a spare emergency router.

Utterly fed up with the constant problems with firmware, lag when browsing and a poor synch speed on ADSL2+ I have changed over to the Billion 7800 and what a difference, it's a different world.

The Draytek could not synch my line above 10.5 meg, SNR sat at 12db. On the occassions I caught a higher synch browsing was only possible for a few hours because as soon as the snr dropped to 10db or less throughput basically ceased,web pages would take an age to open or simply time out I would then be forced to reboot and catch a lower synch to have a usable line.

On a lower synch and decent throughput browsing would again become like treacle after @ 80-150 hours and would never recover, drop the PPoa session and the problem was corrected for another 80 odd hours.

Bind to Mac is duff on several firmware versions,firewall has very strange issues with many settings .............. I just gave up and reverted to defualt.

Plug in the Billion 7800 and instantly gain 4.5MB/s on the synch and no matter what snr is reported the quality of throughout never changes, leave this unit running all week and it delivers perfectly. Having used the hidden SNR tweak settings I have dropped the target SNR to 6.5db and now have a synch of 775 / 16212 kbps that's a full 6MB/s better than the 2820 could ever achieve.

Lastly this unit is IPV6 ready .............

The Draytek was great on ADSL Max and I had good service from it, sadly on ADSL2+ it is pretty hopeless.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami