DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Hardware Faults on 2 Vigor 2830n-Plus Routers

• simonts
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2011 19:32 #69639 by simonts
Hi there guys. Looking for some help to confirm that I'm not losing my marbles. I have just had my second router 'die' on me - it was an RMA for the first one which I received this morning. In both instances I had the router turned on for a few hours while I configured and tested it - no problems. I then turned it off, left it off for a few hours before turning it back oon to find it going through what appears to be a POST sequence of LEDs which look something like this;-

From turn on a loop occurs on the LEDs;-
1. ACT
2. Act, WLAN, DoS, VPN, QoS, WAN2, CSM, USB (a square with an unlit LED (DSL) in the middle)
3. ACT, USB, DSL, CSM
4. Briefly flashes all LEDs above the Ethernet ports
5. Square, briefly
6. All LEDs out briefly
7. Square briefly
8. Back to step 1

If I hold the "Factory Reset" button in for a few seconds then the ACT, USB and CSM LEDs start flashing together, while the DSL LED is on solid. The Ethernet ports now show link lights for the connected equipment and it assigns an IP address to my laptop which can then ping 192.168.1.1 but cannot HTTP to it. After about 20 seconds it reverts to the loop status above.

As this is the second to do the same thing in a matter of days I am hoping that somebody can tell me I'm being stupid and give me a quick fix - I had never used Draytek products before, but stuck my neck on the line to recommend these to a customer and really don't want to look like a total idiot in front of them and my boss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• simonts
  • Topic Author
More
10 Oct 2011 20:50 #69641 by simonts
I seem to have got it sorted thanks to this page - http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_reflash.html

As simple as a TFTP re-flash - kind of annoying that my reseller didn't spot this when I first reported the fault to him with the symptoms, but never mind hey :shock:

It looks like something I'm configuring is causing the router to get its knickers in a twist - not sure why as this is a fairly simple config;-
ADSL Broadband,
2 LANs split across the 4 Ethernet ports,
2 Wireless SSIDs,
And that's it so far - how on earth could that possibly cause a router to stuff up? Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami