DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 questions

More
14 Oct 2011 10:16 #69688 by tle01
Vigor 120 questions was created by tle01
I have just bought a Draytek Vigor 120 as I now have ADSL2+. This is to be used with my Cisco RV220W Small Buisness Router.

I want to be able to view the status of the line whilst the modem is bridged, but I don't want to use the suggested method of using two ports on the router.

i.e. Modem > Router LAN, Router LAN > Router WAN

This is bad practice in my experience as it exposes the LAN directly to the internet bypassing the firewall.

Would putting a switch inbetween the modem and router accomplish the samething. I could then assign a staic IP addressto my laptop, connect it to the switch and access the vigor 120's pages.

Would there be any conflicts doing this, any degradation in internet connection speed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

TLE01

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2011 15:15 #69690 by tle01
Replied by tle01 on topic Re: Vigor 120 questions
I also noticed there is a small 4 pin socket on one side of the modem, any ideas as to what this is for?

More
31 Oct 2011 13:24 #69863 by cityblue
Replied by cityblue on topic Re: Vigor 120 questions

TLE01 wrote:
i.e. Modem > Router LAN, Router LAN > Router WAN

This is bad practice in my experience as it exposes the LAN directly to the internet bypassing the firewall.

Not in my experience of running that configuration, the router firewall is still doing it's job and blocking ports as expected.

Moderators: Sami