DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Problems configuring AP-800

More
19 Oct 2011 06:22 #69730 by hax
Problems configuring AP-800 was created by hax
Hi

I'm struggling to get an AP-800 configured; the aim to is use it in repeater mode as a range extender with an existing 2820.

The product is brand new out-of-the-box. Per the quick start guide, it should be possible to "connect Vigor AP 800 to a Vigor router via wireless connection." There is a generic reference to the full user guide; but nothing I can find in the full user guide suggests how to do this.

I've tried connecting to the AP-800 via the ethernet cable: I get a 'self-assigned' IP address, and therefore cannot connect to 192.168.1.2 to manually configure
I've tried connecting to the AP-800 via the 'DrayTek LAN A' wifi connection - once I figured out where the default password was(!): same results as above
In both modes, I've tried manually setting my (client) IP address to 192.168.1.9, but still cannot access 192.168.1.2 to manually configure - no error, just no connection

I can't check the firmware version on the AP-800 since I don't appear to be able to get to admin interface.
The 2820 is running 3.1.3 - I know there is new firmware here, but at the moment I don't see how this would be causing a problem, and reading the release notes on the upgrade process up to 3.3.5.2 doesn't sound like a walk in the park, so I'm loathe to embark on that unless I have to.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how best to proceed? Do I need (in spite of all the suggestions to the contrary) to make a hardwire connection between the 2920 and the AP-800 in order to configure?

Thanks!

Hax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2011 10:49 #69737 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Problems configuring AP-800
For starters, it's probably not working because of the early firmware, I do know that connecting to the AP700 wirelessly required 3.3.2 firmware or later.

To set up the AP800, set its operation mode to Universal Repeater, once that's saved go to AP Discovery and click Scan, select your wireless network and click Select at the bottom of the page to add it to the UR settings page. From there you just need to set the security settings to match, click OK then check the Online Status page of the AP for an IP address under the UR Status.

More
19 Oct 2011 12:34 #69738 by hax
Replied by hax on topic Re: Problems configuring AP-800
Thanks Voodle.

The configuration steps make total sense, except that I still don't see how I can connect to the AP-800 in the first place: as noted in the original post, I haven't been able to access the admin interface at all yet.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

--&e

More
19 Oct 2011 14:06 #69740 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Problems configuring AP-800
you should be able to get a response from it as long as you're plugging it into the LAN A ports, if not, try factory defaulting it by pressing the reset button for ~5 seconds.

More
19 Oct 2011 15:16 #69741 by hax
Replied by hax on topic Re: Problems configuring AP-800
Hey Voodle

Thanks - appreciate your help. I did get a response in the end - I had to hardwire the AP to my existing router first. Turns out that the factory setting (apparently) is for DCHP to be disabled, so no surprise I wasn't able to get an IP from the unit!

I'm making some progress now with the config - hopefully I'll have it up and running later.

Again - thanks for the assist.

Hax

Moderators: Sami