DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 - latency/performance issues

• fandans1
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2011 18:54 #1 by fandans1
2820 - latency/performance issues was created by fandans1
I'm considering binning my 2820, its around a year old, been backwards and forwards for many hours with support, eventually managed to get an RMA out of support, they have allegedley replaced the motherboard - but the problem still persists. I am wondering if anyone else is having a similar issue, i've spent to much time chasing the problem and will simply move to another manufacturer.

Problem as follows:

The 2820 worked fine when it was connected via the DSL interace to my DSL line. After upgrading my DSL line to FTTC and connecting the openreach modem to WAN2 the problems then started. Intermittantly the line monitoring shows increase in latency, even when there is no traffic on the line. The issue can persist for seconds or hours, rebooting does help. (I also upgrade the firmware when support asked me to.)

I've had both BT and my ISP (AAISP) check line/settings etc, they report no problems. (I have spent several weeks on mail between BT and my ISP, both were very helpful in trying to figure out the source of the issue) For the most part the latency is not an issue, it only manifests itself when I am using VOIP and then only when I am using VOIP to another party where they are using broadband via wifi or where the broadband at the end is 'patchy' in performance. This results in frozen voice and video and dropped calls. Very occassionaly I see some performance issues in download but I cannot definatively say these are the router.

When I replace the 2820 with either my spare Netgear router or my spare Cisco router the latency issues stop and the VOIP call and video freezing stops, this in combination with what BT and my ISP investigated tell me it is definately the 2820.

I've tried the router with QOS, firewal turned on, then off and various combinations with the help of Draytek support, I even gave them remote access to the router and they have logged on but say they cannot see a problem.

I'm a user of Draytek products for 5 years or more now, I don't want to switch to another manufacturer and be faced with potential other issues/the unknown hence the last ditch attempt here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami