DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

AP800 Wireless Access Point LAN A and LAN B question

• boxrick
  • Topic Author
More
27 Oct 2011 17:39 #69833 by boxrick
I have just purchased a Draytek AP800. I currently have 2 wireless connections being broadcast from a Draytek 2820n. These are on different VLANs and cannot see each other, one is used for staff access and the other guest.

I wanted to make 2 connections to my 2820n to the AP800 one into LAN A and one into LAN B. However these 2 VLAN do live on the same subnet since the 2820n VLAN options are not very comprehensive.
When I try and set up the ap800 it will not let me saying they are in the same domain.

Is there any way around this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2011 11:25 #69837 by voodle
The ap800's validation doesn't like LANA & LANB in the same subnet - if you're using the AP800's DHCP server on LANB then you can get around this with a 2820 by putting the LANA address on the AP800 onto a different subnet (10.0.1.1 for instance), that should allow it to save & work

If that causes a problem with management of it then switch the LAN A and LAN B around so that the internal network is on LAN B and the guest network (if you need the DHCP server) is on LAN A - the reason for all this is that the AP800 in access point mode will just pass DHCP through no matter which subnet it's on so having one on the wrong subnet gets around the web interface validation problem and still allows wireless access to work.

• boxrick
  • Topic Author
More
01 Nov 2011 16:15 #69887 by boxrick
If I manually set the Access point supply IP Addresses using DHCP. How can I get this to route back to the 2820 and back to the internet? Setting the 2820 as the gateway doesn't seem to work. Would I not need some form of bridge between the 2 subnets?

• boxrick
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2011 14:29 #69937 by boxrick
Any more guidance with this?

More
12 Nov 2012 16:16 #74171 by rickblackdog
Hi - I've a similar question, I suspect the LAN-B port needs to be physically connected to the network (even if it terminates at the same switch). I want to achieve the same thing with LAN separation for guest networks, but LAN-B doesn't seem to be accessible unless it's physically connected... which seems bizarre!

Moderators: Sami