DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n True DMZ & Port Redirection

• gary3005
  • Topic Author
More
31 Oct 2011 22:48 #69876 by gary3005
2820n True DMZ & Port Redirection was created by gary3005
I have a 2820n serving LAN PC's, one of which hosts webcam security software, accessible from the WAN via an open port rule..... So I only have one inbound NAT port rule, which all works fine.

Recently I configured a linux SMTP email server (firewalled with iptables), which I need accessible from the WAN, on the WAN IP, but isolated from the LAN... so I naturally configured the Linux server using Draytek True DMZ.

The Linux server adopted my ISP WAN IP via its DHCP client as expected, and SMTP functionality is working OK. However, I notice now that previously working NAT open port rule has stopped working.

According to the Draytek KB article here: "http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_portforwarding.html#difference", the router is able to operate NAT and DMZ simultaneously, using a priority rule base for incoming WAN packets, as described in the KB:

When using combinations of (port redirection, open ports and DMZ host), there is a priority structure; i.e. if a rule in one method co-incides with a rule in another method, then there is strict precedence, so that the result should be predictable. The precedence is as follows : Port Redirection > Open Ports > DMZ"
For example, if an incoming packet's port number matches a rule in both 'Port Redirection' and 'Open Ports' then the packet will be forwarded onto the local address defined in 'Port Redirection'.

Have I missed something fundamental, or maybe done something wrong, as clearly this is not working as described.

Anyone else successfully running True DMZ and inbound NAT port rules?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2011 22:17 #69893 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820n True DMZ & Port Redirection
Could the clue be: All incoming data to your public IP address ends up at the True-DMZ host. ? - taken from http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_truedmz.html

Could you use NAT Port Redirection again, to get the WAN in to new linux SMTP email server, and then create some more "firewalled with iptables" entries for prohibit the local LAN ips's (other than the Vigor of course) ?

Regards, Neal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami