DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800G - using an ethernet port as WAN? (cable modem style)

More
02 Nov 2011 19:03 #1 by cjard
Hi all

Have a spare 2800G here and I have need to access 3 differnet networks over vpn from 3 laptops. The router I have at work is not smart, so I want to use the draytek 2800G like this:

[3 laptops]--wireless-->[2800G]--vpn over ethernet-->[dumb router]--vpn-->[internet]-->[destination network 1]
[3 laptops]--wireless-->[2800G]--vpn over ethernet-->[dumb router]--vpn-->[internet]-->[destination network 2]
[3 laptops]--wireless-->[2800G]--vpn over ethernet-->[dumb router]--vpn-->[internet]-->[destination network 3]

Each of the 3 laptops needs to access things in each destination. Thus the 2800 is needed to make the vpn connection and route traffic over it because the laptops cannot each be the vpn client themselves as the router wont know where to send rply packets

So really i want to be able to run a cat5 cable from my existing router to the 2800G ethernet port 1
Then I want to tell the 2800G "ethernet port 1 is your WAN link, do dhcp on it, get a WAN side IP, then route traffic from the wireless, into ethernet port 1"

Or actually, i dont mind if the 2800G becomes a client of the dumb router on the wireless and I have to conenct the PCs with wires:
[3 laptops]--wires-->[2800g]--wireless-->[dumb router]--> ...

How do i config the router so it doesnt expect the adsl connector to be wan side?

I just want the 2800g's ability to establish VPNs- i already have it set up to do that by copying the config of my home router (which conencts to the net itself by dsl) which is a 2800vg that serves my house internet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami