DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VPN Lan2Lan -> Remote Desktop & Ping OK, but no IMAP Access

• stuey
  • Topic Author
More
03 Nov 2011 12:12 #69914 by stuey
Hi I have

2820Vn (Home) (WAN2) -> Virgin Super Hub (in Modem Mode) -> // internet // 2820Vn (ADSL Work)

I've managed to get Lan 2 Lan VPN all working and can ping, remote desktop into PC's on the work network, however I can't connect to IMAP on the VPOP3 mail server in the work network.

When I use my PC and establish a VPN connection from within Windows, the IMAP works perfectly without complaint.
I've setup the mail server as an IP address in Outlook.

Any ideas peeps?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2011 13:16 #69932 by nealuk
Does the mailserver allow serving IP's from outside the local range?

• stuey
  • Topic Author
More
04 Nov 2011 13:25 #69933 by stuey
Hi Neal,

I'm wondering if it's the fact that I'm going from 2820vn WAN2 -> Cable Modem then internet, that's causing me the problems, as when I have a 2820Vn (With Built in ADSL) to the Office then I can access the mail server OK.

Not sure what you mean by "Does the mailserver allow serving IP's from outside the local range?"

Regards

More
04 Nov 2011 21:50 #69948 by nealuk
I'm not sure which mailserver product you are using, but this is the concept I had:

Work IP range 172.16.1.x

Home IP range 192.168.0.x

The mailserver program will probably have some "built in intelligence" that realises the LAN is 172.16.1.x and so allows access to clients in the range 172.16.1.1-172.16.1.254

So, over the Lan 2 Lan connection, an incoming request from 192.168.0.x is alien. There may be a setting in the mailserver product to define trusted IP ranges.

If I'm barking up the wrong tree, then apologies.

Moderators: Sami