DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VM Business 50MB and 2820n setup

• dt2
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2011 16:00 #70015 by dt2
Dear all

This is the same post as on the cableforum.co.uk so apologies if you've seen this already.

I'm eagerly awaiting the install of the new 50MB Business Service from VM and want to connect to WAN2 of our Draytek 2820n.

I've been advised by VM that the Super Hub to be provided with Business Services will not have a modem only mode and that I will need to assign a static IP to the Draytek and this in turn means that I need to buy a pack of 5 ips, even though I only need one.

Another option which would save the addtional £10 per month perhaps is to set up a dynamic dns account and I've noticed that the Draytek has a config page just for this and allows a "WAN2 only" setting.

Has anyone any experience of using VM services with dynamic dns on WAN2 ?

Thanks

DT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 21:08 #70021 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: VM Business 50MB and 2820n setup
Yup, it works quite well in my experience since the IP will change very rarely and only if the Superhub is restarted I've found.

I'm using mine in modem mode now but when I was stuck using the 2820n as the DMZ on it, I didn't have any problems - the only awkward bit was getting the router to update the dynamic DNS since it had an internal IP rather than the actual WAN IP address. I was getting round that using another DDNS client on a server that would check for the WAN IP itself but now the router has that too - 3.3.7 adds a Force WAN IP Update option which checks for the WAN IP externally rather than using what it shows on the online status page and it works pretty well :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami