DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid"

• arikadiusz
  • Topic Author
More
10 Nov 2011 22:09 #70023 by arikadiusz
BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid" was created by arikadiusz
Hi, I have DryTek 2820 and BT ADSL line. I am trying to get it working. I do have VALID username and password (pass is blank).
in Connection status I can see that I am connected (all green). BUT!!!
on all the computers that are connected I have no internet connection... This is Bul***t!!! All I am getting is when I
ping google.co.uk
ping facebook.com
is one of BT DNS ip's. So Basicly yours router blocks ALL internet traffic. All I have done is:
1. Default it
2. put broadband username into it

i have tried to disable Firewall, and all sord of combinations which I shoud not do in first place for that price!!!

Thats it.. I have changed Sky broadband to bt cuz i wasn't sure if I have right username and pass (they won't give it to you). 200 pounds and so much trubles..
HOW TO MAKE IT WORK ?!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2011 23:12 #70024 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid"
For future information (and anyone else reading this) here's a cool web based tool (search the Skyusers forum) that spits out the broadband password. From memory, it's generated by an algorithm using the originally sky supplied 8 character SSID (the one thats written on the router label; not the one you're actually using) and something else (maybe the MAC address; I can't actually remember), but you can type the info into the tool and it spits out the required broadband password; that's how I got my 2820 working on Sky broadband.

Before I was on sky, I used my Draytek with BT broadband for a few years, so it does work fine with BT; it must just be a config issue and it sounds DNS related. Look at the online status to see which DNS are currently being used; it should show the DHCP supplied ones in BT (leave the LAN side DNS entries empty - and the force box unticked - so it uses the BT default ones). If, for some reason, that doesnt work, put some free ones in (LAN config) and try that to see if you can at least get it going. Once you do get online, go to http://www.grc.com and download the DNS benchmark tool, set it to update the list (that takes 30 minutes) and you can then run the test to find the best ones for your area/ISP.

I now use Sky's DNS servers as my primary and have another ISP as my secondary (that alternative one is entered on the LAN side, the primary one is left empty and the force box unticked). The key issue here is that the Draytek gives you a lot of options and it takes some reading to find out which ones take priority; it's a very capable device, but that very high level of configurability also means it is very easy to set up such that it's not optimally set (or even not working at all).

Hope you get it going!

Bri :)

PS That force tick box is labeled as 'force router to use address for DNS' and means DHCP PC's DNS is not set to the same as the gateway, but are set as the entries you populate in the LAN side DNS boxes. It's something worth reading up on and actually experimenting with (open a command prompt on your PC and run ipconfig /all) to ensure you know what these changes all do. Remember to refresh your PC's network settings (Windows call it something like 'repair your IP') to pick up any changes you make in the Draytek.

More
11 Nov 2011 09:54 #70028 by ian_m
Replied by ian_m on topic Re: BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid"
We had a 2820 on BT ADSL 8Mbit for years absolutely no issue, 100% "rock solid" connection 24/7, you must have a configuration issue.

Now moved to BT Infinity, again absolutely fine, 40Mb down, 8Mb up, 100% "rock solid" connection 24/7.

More
11 Nov 2011 11:26 #70029 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid"
There"s not quite enough information. Thinking about it again today (without the bottle of red wine to slow me up) I'm wondering it's something odd like the PC's have static network settings which worked with sky, but not on BT? I wouldn't have expected that situation to return BT DNS from a ping, though. If that's the case (and fiddling with the router settings) it might be a plan to try your PC as DHCP first and see if your browser then finds sites.

Bri

• arikadiusz
  • Topic Author
More
11 Nov 2011 13:14 #70030 by arikadiusz
Replied by arikadiusz on topic Re: BT + DryTek the "Rock and solid"
Thank you for your replay Brian. Looks like flashing the router was the way to go... all I did was Firmware upgrade with .rts file. Now works fine, thanks to drytek tech support.

Moderators: Sami