DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Local machine names into local DNS?

More
20 Nov 2011 17:19 #70169 by sp0
Is there a way, using a DrayTek router's DHCP and DNS proxy, to automatically register all machines seen by DHCP into a local DNS (ie machinename.mydomain.com)?

Currently we are able to find things easily from Windows platforms using NETBIOS, but not by DNS. We would like LAN users to be able to type (eg) //machinename or //machinename/mydomain.com into a browser and get to the appropriate local IP address. WAN users should not see these local machines.

We don't want to manage hosts files on all our systems. If there isn't a simple Draytek solution should we run DHCP and DNS on a local machine? Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2012 11:13 #72055 by deadkenny
Replied by deadkenny on topic Re: Local machine names into local DNS?
Been through this myself and seems the Draytek routers just don't have a local DNS feature.

My solution was to run dnsmasq on another server http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11266

I'm now running that on my Synology NAS as DHCP & DNS server. Works great. Only thing is if I take that box down, I lose DNS, but can point back to the router if need be (just then I can't access my various internal servers using the public DNS names from inside the network, i.e. the web and mail server).

Draytek Vigor 2700V (2S1L). Firmware: 2.8.3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami