DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sky Broadband connection very slow with Vigor 120 ?

• neoglow
  • Topic Author
More
31 Dec 2011 23:23 #70626 by neoglow
Hey everyone,

Im totally confused at the moment and need some help.

I live in the UK and Ive got Sky ADSL Broadband and have been using the router Sky issued for ages, a Sagem F@ST 2504n.

I recently picked up a Draytek Vigor 120 v2 (version 2) but when I connect it all up, my broadband connection is really slow. I extracted my Sky username and password from the old router so I can log onto the connection and use the internet, however...

With the Sagem I am getting about 13mb downstream and about 900kb upstream, but when I swap it for the Vigor my connection drops massively to 4mb downstream and about 300kb upstream!?! WTH?

The connection works, my username/password is accepted and I can use the internet but its so slow. I did a test download of iTunes from Apples website (approx 60mb file), with the Sagem I was getting about 1.2-1.5mb download rate but with the Vigor I get 200-300kb!

I have the Vigor connected directly to my PC at the moment so no router and I left the Vigor with default settings of PPPoA and on Multimode ADSL type.

Can anyone help or anyone on here got Sky Broadband with a Vigor 120 and know why this is happening?

Can I check what firmware I am meant to have on the Vigor for the UK?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2012 18:24 #70648 by wingedwraith
Hi

You can check your firmware by connecting directly to the Vigor 120 via Ethernet and logging in to http://192.168.2.1 that will show the interface and firmware revision on the modem. If you're finding connection speeds are significantly lower I'd contact Draytek support as I believe there are different modem variants but I've never had to do this so not sure how it's achieved.

Be interested to hear how you get on as this could be a chipset issue where certain core chipsets work better with specific ISPs.

Cheers

Neil

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is definitely not!

More
14 Jan 2012 12:31 #70758 by rtpeat
Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Since the Sky BB came on the Vigor 120 has been solidly sitting at 4Meg, switched to the Sagem and reconfigured my other routers and within a couple of hours the connection speed is climbing up again towards the expect 14-16meg speed.

Comparing the two it seems like the Sagem router is connecting using MER rather than PPPoE to connect - I have tried configuring the Vigor 120 to connect with MER rather than using the username and password, but it never manages to make a connection.

Regards,

Richard

More
27 Mar 2013 22:56 #75704 by varinder69
I've got the latest Vigor 120 connected to Linksys ea4500.
cant seem to get it to work. I've extracted sky username and password and have kind of followed instructions but not sure exactly why its not working.
My sagem gets me about 10meg. All lights go on on the vigor 120 but Internet light stays off.
I can access bbc.com via favourites toolbar but google has stopped and everything else has stopped connecting to the internet. I've gone back to sky's Sagemcon again.

Is there anyone out there who has connected via sky adsl?
I would appreciate it prt screens of layout if possible.

Thanks if your out there

Moderators: Sami