DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Port Redirect / Open Port for UDP Vigor 2820n not working

• couling
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2012 22:05 #70852 by couling
Hi All

I'm trying to set up WOL across the net without opening up remote management to the Internet.
I'm having trouble getting port forwarding to work for UDP. It seems the packets are just not getting through the router.

I've bound the mac address to the correct ip (192.168.1.10) and am confident this is working because the DHCP is assigning the correct IP and the ARP table in the diagnostics of the router show it. I've also set up the port forward through "Port Redirection". I've tried this on the common WOL ports of 7 and 9 as well as several non-standard ports in the 2000 - 3000 range. The WOL on the device will work for any port.

I'm confident that this is getting blocked at the router because when the machine is switched on, its firewall will log the WOL packets as blocked. This happens when they are sent from the LAN but shows nothing when sent from the Internet. The same machine sending from the Internet is accessing other TCP port forwards so I'm happy the only issue is with getting UDP through the router.

Is it possible this is being blocked by the firewall or is there anything else I may have missed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2012 11:43 #71587 by romprod
I seem to be having the same issue regarding WOL UDP packets. There's just no sign what so ever that they're getting through the router.

More
02 Jul 2012 12:15 #72815 by mordorf
Same problem here with WoL, used to work but now it doesn't.

More
27 Aug 2012 11:35 #73321 by mordorf
Just got a new 2850Vn and this has the same problem. This problem has been going on for a long time now, it's about time it was fixed.

More
27 Aug 2012 15:13 #73325 by jedi98
I've always been lead to believe that WOL packets are local lan broadcasts (255.255.255.255) and as such cannot be routed, at least not by normal means. They certainly never work across my VPN, I always have to use a local lan device (server, router etc) on-site to do the WOL.

Is there something that leads you to believe that this should work without a local process? I would be interested to hear if that is the case.

More
27 Aug 2012 19:11 #73331 by mordorf
It is definitely possible and did work until fairly recently. You are just forwarding a udp packet to a specific computer. See the below url for more info.
http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html

Moderators: Sami