DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Web Content Filter

• stuc
  • Topic Author
More
03 Feb 2012 09:37 #71057 by stuc
Web Content Filter was created by stuc
I had a commtouch subscription on our 2955 but I found it tended to reboot if I accessed the web interface, I assumed it was some combination of settings or a faulty router so I swapped to our 2820 so I could clean wipe the 2955 but this also will reboot if WCF is enabled (with logging to external server) and I access the web interface.

I wanted logging to external server so I could have some backed up record but I assume the routers are not up to it.

Generally my experience of Vigor has been fine but I find the activation process completely rubbish, I activated the latest license on the 2820 but then turned the service off due to reboots now I can't turn it back on to test, the web page has changed so the instructions don't seem to reflect what's there.
I can re-enter the license details but it tells me it's "used" but I can't seem to find how to turn it on.
With the 2820 I've logging to USB but even that seems a bit of an afterthought with little obvious way to review the logs quickly.

Very frustrated with this feature and now considering other brands as some other rock solid routers we use offer a similar service (don't know what is missing as haven't tried yet).

I have to say the web page that I get to from the "Activate" link has a sidebar that in firefox is not active or logged on (another log on prompt to be seen all the time) the experience has wasted much time for me. Do I have to set my default browser to IE for Vigor routers?

Sorry if this is a bit ranty but every time I try to have a go at fixing the filtering things seems to resemble the instructions less, just more adverts for buy another Vigor.

Stu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2012 17:56 #72772 by chrizn
Replied by chrizn on topic Re: Web Content Filter
I have the same issue with a 2930. Reboots the router every 2 - 5 mins if the WCF is enabled.
Draytek didnt respond to support request.
Pants!!
No Support. I've sold over 200 drayteks and mostly OK but the last year or so they are becoming cr@p. being overtaken because of poor support and documentation.

• stuc
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jun 2012 18:32 #72773 by stuc
Replied by stuc on topic Re: Web Content Filter
Thanks for the reply, was beginning to wonder if it was just the two devices I tried.

I've come the conclusion its feature cram.
Big long list of things the router "can do" just "not any two at the same time".
That's a bit harsh and truthfully I wouldn't be ranting if the rest of features didn't represent a decent bit of hardware.

I never got it working reliably and now just use other external proxies/filters.

I expect there may be a way to turn of everything off except filtering and gradually adding things back but a drawback of the long "feature list" is the amount of things its possible to tweak before if all falls over, life is too short to play interface chess with these things.

My home connection has gone to FTTC so I need to buy a new router, strange thing is since the filter experience and especially the stupid license web page fudge I have been unable to commit to Draytek, I see other brands with VPN, IPV6, MPLS etc from about 40% of the new Vigor and I feel really disappointed that a brand that has suited me for years has fallen off the list due to what is probably something as simple as failure to handle time outs on filtering service or usb/net syslog packets.

Moderators: Sami