Remote access via Static IP associated with WAN2

• decibel
  • Topic Author
More
22 Feb 2012 05:40 #71316 by decibel
Router: Vigor 2820Vn
Setup: WAN1 has ADSL connection, dynamic IP
WAN2 has cable connection, is linked in ethernet mode and has static IP
Running 'whatismyip.org' on PC connected to LAN I get the static IP associated with WAN2 and I can ping that IP from a remote PC however the port used for remote access is not accessible and entering the IP into a browser on a remote PC followed by appropriate port number access is blocked.
Do I need to amend a Firewall setting somewhere please?
I would also like to use the static IP to set up VPN and OpenDNS filtering. Any settings necessary to enable the static IP to be used in this manner would also be appreciated.
Alternatively, what would anyone recommend to use for host name to set up VPN. Am I best to use a dynamic dns service such as dyndns in case WAN2 goes down? If this is the case has anyone got any recommendations? I have been using dsn-o-matic to update both a dyndns service and also OpenDNS but it keeps dropping for some reason hence the idea to try using the static IP associated with WAN2
Appreciate help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2012 18:07 #72309 by cornishman
Hi,

I have a similar setup:

Hardware: Vigor 2820n + Vigor 120 Modem

WAN1 = Directly connected ADSL with dynamic IP address
WAN2 = Vigor120 Modem connected to ADSL with Static IP address

I have 2x NO-IP domains (in the same account) set up:
1: WAN1 Only - using 1st No-IP domain name
2: WAN2 Only - using 2nd No-IP domain name

Update interval is set to 1500 mins

Because the 2nd account never changes (I presume), the DDNS updater never tells No-IP about it, so after a month (or similar), the static account goes stale and I need to go in to the router and manually force an update.
So, the update interval appears to be the time Vigor checks if an IP has changed, not the time it updates.

(Pain in the .... :x )

On top of this, I also use OpenDNS with the Windows updater running on 2 computers.

So, in the WAN Load-Balancing Policy, I force one computer to always use WAN1 and the other computer to use WAN2 - this ensures that both updaters see a different IP address and update OpenDNS correctly.

I also use firewall rules to allow any traffic with a destination of port 53 and a destination of the OpenDNS IP addresses (using an IP Object), and a 2nd rule (AFTER the first), which blocks all DNS requests (because I can't create a "not" rule using IP objects)

This all seems to work fine for my requirements.... :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami