DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Public/Private wireless, need some help config

• toad555
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2012 15:19 #1 by toad555
Hi

Its been a very long time since I posted on this board but I'm sure someone can help with this.

I've been asked to configure a public/private network in a pub using the following gear;

1x 2830 Router
2x AP800
1x AP700

The customer wants to connect all the equipment throughout his premises over cat5 and provide private wired and wireless access for his staff then public wireless access for his customers.

The public must not be able to access any of his private equipment, eg servers etc.
Both public and private must share the same internet connection.
The current setup uses just the 2830 router, configured with 2x SSID's one public with no security and one private with WPA.
This works perfectly other than the wireless coverage doesn't adequately cover the site hence the requirement for more AP's

Firstly can the system be extended with the equipment he has available.
Secondly can anyone help me understand how to configure it.

The senarios I've tried either mean the public see the private equipment with one config else they get no access to anything and no ip address with the other configuration I've tried.
I assume its some combination of vlans and ssid's that will be the solution but I'm just not understanding it right now.
I guess I need the public SSID on a vlan which should prevent it from seeing any of the private gear, but when I tried that no access was possible at all, probably due to not getting an ip address.

Apologies for the epic post, sorry its so boring.
Toad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: ChrisSami