DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New 2850n seems to take out my DSL line at BT

More
03 Mar 2012 14:29 #71432 by piki
I got my 2850n earlier in the week, I disconnected the working old router (2wire standard BTBusiness router) and configured the new router as per the settings off the old router

I am on normal ADSL (I get around 0.5-1.5mb, so liked the multi WAN features) It connected once and then wouldn't connect again - I realised this was the VDSL/ADSL issue and changed the configuration to force ADSL

On reboot the DSL was gone completely (no Showtime) so I plugged in the old router and this had no broadband either and could not get a response from BT on the DSL. BT were called, engineer came, said there was a problem at the exchange and the next day the broadband was back on the old router.

Plugging the 2850n back in again, no dsl - this time I get the showtime message but no DSL - I tried the call PPPoE link but nothing back. Plugging the old router back in the broadband was gone again. BT called, engineer coming on Monday

Is it just coincidence that everytime I plug the 2850n it takes out my broadband? Is it even possible for the router to take out the DSL? I have shocking BT Business Broadband at the best of times - hence the purchase as I get twice the bandwidth from 3 mobile broadband. I thought it was coincidence first time around - but the DSL has gone twice now when the router has been plugged in from a previously working position

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2012 18:05 #71433 by wildoat
My 2850n fine with BT Business ADSL even with not forcing it on to ADSL - it appears to try VDSL 1st and then tries ADSL and locks on! Have you tried latest firmware released recently and on UK driver site? Would be surprised if the 2850n could damage the broadband so I'm guessing coincidence!

More
05 Mar 2012 14:28 #71454 by frag
If the router IS taking out the DSLAM at the exchange then BT have some serious problems on their hands!

It is probably just co-incidence.

More
06 Mar 2012 21:10 #71493 by piki
Ok BT have been and the Broadband was working again on the old router. I updated the 2850 to the latest firmware and reset to factory settings (the .rst) file.

I then went through the quick start menu and setup broadband and then plugged in the DSL connection and rebooted. No broadband again, it would not connect i get the ADSL status of Ready this time rather than showtime.

I plugged the old router back in and again the broadband has gone. Unfortunately I wasn't in when BT visited (my wife was here) - the chap said I plugged in the DSL to the phoneline connection on the old router, which I didn't believe as that sounds very absent minded - even for me. I've checked it again and its definately in the DSL connection and I have no broadband.

The 2850 is definately locking out my DSL as thats 3 times in a row now, and the only way to resolve it is to get the BT Engineer out. I have no clue what is causing it other than the 2850 so I think it will have to go.

Do I have a duff box? or just not capable enough to own the router! I've never seen this before with routers and have had no fixed line broadband for a week now so going from annoyed to v.p'd off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

More
06 Mar 2012 23:11 #71494 by piki
OK so BT now saying they can see a further fault on the line - although I don't know why it wasn't picked up before

Am hoping its BT and not me - but I dont understand why the old router can be made to work and why when the new one is plugged in, it takes everything out at BT's end

More
07 Mar 2012 14:33 #71498 by wildoat
Very strange but I just cant see it being the 2850. Maybe it reacts to the fault that BT have detected and the old router doesn't? W.

Moderators: Sami