DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

New 2850n seems to take out my DSL line at BT

More
07 Mar 2012 16:56 #71501 by frag
Would have to agree with wildoat, no way the 2850 can knock out the entire line sync unless there is a problem at the exchange.

Plugging the 2850 into the line may trigger the issue, but it is not the underlying problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2012 17:02 #71503 by piki
BT Business are saying there's a 'TAM failure' at the exchange, but BT Wholesale are saying there's no problem with the TAM at the exchange (I still dont have any broadband however).

Anyone know what a TAM is? and could it produce the symptoms described? (or is it a red herring)

They also mentioned that it could be down to the synchronisation being lost with the exchange and that I would need to unplug all devices including the telephones for 4 hours to clear the blockage and then plug back in again - again I don't understand why I would need to go without service for 4 hours to clear a sync'ing issue - why can't it just be reset.

Anyway this like a therapy blog now - I don't know if it helps other Vigor owners other than the router seems to have exposed a number of underlying problems in my adsl, I'll reserve judgement on the router until (if) I can get it to connect

More
08 Mar 2012 08:25 #71509 by wildoat
Gook luck piki - keep us informed. I have the 2850n as I mentioned on ADSL but ready for when our exchange goes to infinity in July this year. Regards. W.

More
08 Mar 2012 14:39 #71522 by piki
All fixed :D

The card they said they replaced in the exchange last week hadn't been replaced but just reset.

The BT engineer who came this morning says it was swapped out last night - all my routers connected first time today including the 2850, and even with me changing lots of the settings and rebooting a lot to try and get it to fail (I wanted to be sure with the engineer around) it has still connected without problem. He said that he didn't understand why the old router had reconnected previously - but that it was just coincidence with me swapping out my router.

He also said he had a day full of house calls similar to mine with people who had had the same problems (he said there were about 100 households impacted)

So it wasn't me or the router - I still only get a 1.4mb connection though. So now onto phase 2 of adding the mobile broadband to loadbalance across

Thanks

Piers

Moderators: Sami