Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 WAN2 setup

• adwhite
  • Topic Author
More
05 Mar 2012 18:14 #71467 by adwhite
2820 WAN2 setup was created by adwhite
Hi,

I've got a 2820 which is working fine on WAN1 with orange broadband. But I want to add some redundancy to the system so I've just got BT broadband on another line. The BT broadband works fine when any PC is plugged into the BT home hub, but if I plug the BT home hub into WAN2 and use bthomehub@btbroadband.com as the username with no password (the access details for the homehub) I get "Message [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]"

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2012 11:19 #71478 by frag
Replied by frag on topic Re: 2820 WAN2 setup
This will be because the router is running behind another layer of NAT and you do not not need to use PPPoE to connect.

Put the draytek router WAN2 settings into 'static or dynamic' mode and then tell it to obtain an IP address automatically, this should thn just pick up a local IP address from the homehub and provide internet access.

Alternatively you should configure the home hub to work in bridge mode and then configure the PPPoE connection from the draytek router.

• adwhite
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2012 12:38 #71481 by adwhite
Replied by adwhite on topic Re: 2820 WAN2 setup
that didn't work, it's still coming up with the message "no response from server side"
I've got wireless and dhcp disabled on the homehub (HH), but when I look at it it's taken an ip address of 192.168.1.254 which is within the ip range I've got, but I can't ping it from a network pc (although I can ping it from a pc that's directly attached to the HH)

I've probably set something whilst I've been messing with this which is now causing the problem, but I'm not sure where to look, but I have an old netgear router which I can probably try instead of the HH, that might be an easier option

More
06 Mar 2012 13:25 #71482 by frag
That message will normally only be shown under the WAN1 section... are you configuring the WAN2 section on the router?

You should have the homehub plugged into the dsl line and then have an ethernet cable from the HH to the WAN2 port on the draytek router.

The WAN2 port should then be configured for static or dynamic mode and told to 'obtain an IP address automatically'. The HH itself will then handle all of the sync and authorisation

• adwhite
  • Topic Author
More
06 Mar 2012 14:26 #71483 by adwhite
Replied by adwhite on topic Re: 2820 WAN2 setup
Hi,

WAN1 is wroking fine.

what I have in general setup WAN2 is :
Display Name: BT
Physical Mode: Ethernet
Active Mode: always on

then in internet access on WAN2
the display name is BT
Mode is Ethernet
Config info is DHCP client

then when I go into WAN2 detail I have :
PPPoE disabled
Static or Dynamic IP enabled
and then obtain an ip address automatically is selected

on the HH which has one ethernet cable into WAN2 and one ethernet cable into a standalone laptop (ie with wireless turned off)
it has hub ip gateway 192.168.254 with a normal 255 subnet.
then it has the broadband network ip of 86.xxx.xxx.xxx which is changable as I disconnect and reconnect and what might be a static default gateway of 217.xxx.xxx.xxx and two dns ip addresses

Does any of that help?

More
06 Mar 2012 15:18 #71486 by frag
Yup, that should work. It will be behind 2 layers of NAT, which might be a problem later on, but basic internet connectivity should not be a problem.

Moderators: Sami