2830VN+ & 5 AP700s

• christophe
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
08 Mar 2012 09:46 #71515 by christophe
2830VN+ & 5 AP700s was created by christophe
I've got my 2830 set up fine and can attach any amount of AP700's to it without issue after following this guide:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_wlan_AP700_UniversalRepeater.html

However as I'm extending the wi-fi coverage over multiple floors in a building I wanted to daisy chain the AP's together as the 4th & 5th AP can't get a signal from the 2830 on the ground floor.

My network would look roughly like this:
Internet > 2830 > AP1
> AP2
> AP3 > AP4 > AP5

AP's 1, 2 & 3 connected to the 2830 base
AP4 connected to AP3
AP5 connected to AP4

I used the guide above as a base and set up my 4th AP connecting to the 3rd AP and after changing the IP's of the AP's so they don't conflict it all looks good, however when I connect to AP4 or AP5 I'm unable to get an IP address.
By default the DHCP server is not set up on the AP's just on the 2830 so I enabled the DHCP server on AP3 so I can now get an IP but I still can't access the internet. I thought this might be down to the default gateway setting on the DHCP server I just set up so I tried the default gateway as the IP of AP3 and the 2830 but still nothing gets through.

Firstly I wanted to know if anyone has done this sort of work, from the documentation it looks possible but I'd just like to confirm that it should work.
Secondly I wanted to confirm that AP3 and AP4 would have to have their DHCP servers enabled to get this to function and if so what should the default gateway of the DHCP server be set to? (AP3 or the 2830 base).

All my AP's are set to universal repeater mode as I want clients to be able to connect to all AP's in the buildings.
I don't need any of the clients attached to the AP's or 2830 to be able to communicate with each other just have internet access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• christophe
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
08 Mar 2012 11:14 #71519 by christophe
Replied by christophe on topic Re: 2830VN+ & 5 AP700s
Small update:
I disabled the DHCP on the AP's and set up a basic version of my network
2830>AP1>AP2>client

When connecting to AP2 I am assigned an IP address from the 2830 DHCP server but I have no access to the internet nor can I ping/access AP1 or the 2830.
When I connect to AP1 I can ping the 2830 and access the internet.

I'm pretty confused as to how I get an IP address when connected to AP2 but I can't ping/communicate with the DHCP server that allocated it in any way.
Obviously when connected to AP1 I have the same DHCP server

More
08 Mar 2012 16:48 #71524 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic Re: 2830VN+ & 5 AP700s
My experience of a 2820 and an AP700 plus a cheap AP from Maplin was not succesfull. I could get the AP700 to repeat from the 2820 but with poor performance, I belive it was because they were on different floors and the antennas on the 2820 are designed to transmit/recieve mainly in a horizontal plane hence poor signal on the floor below. I eventually had to connect the AP700 to the 2820 by cable. I then tried extending the range of the AP700 with the 2nd AP from Maplin although it would connect to the AP700 in practice it would not allow any PCs to get an IP. Eventually I gave up and instead slightly repositioned the AP700 and bingo the range increased significantly!

Howard

Moderators: Sami