Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n with 3.3.7sb ( 3.3.7_232201)

• cookan
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2012 10:52 #71645 by cookan
2830n with 3.3.7sb ( 3.3.7_232201) was created by cookan
Hi,
I've just received a new 2830n and am having trouble getting pretty much any of the features of the firewall to work with user management. I'm not sure where to start but here are a list of the issues I've run in to so far

setting to UserBased as opposed to Rule Based

Under the individual users policy, the only selectable rules are Default, or the rules from Set #2. Despite defining Rule Set #3 with filter rules enabled inside, the Policy drop down does not include anything other than Set #2 rules. I've also changed the Gernal Firewall setup to start at Set 3 for data filter and still don't see anything other than Set #2 in the policy drop down.

Trying a more basic approach and adding rules to Set #2, setting a URL Content filter to stop a single website seems to work randomly. Sometimes it blocks the site, other times it doesn't, but then might block www.google.co.uk instead

Sometimes it appears to ask for a login to access the internet, other times it doesn't.
From a wirless device I get webpage not available when it blocks that single rule (sometimes it just lets it through regardless)
I never get to the landing page message defined against the URL Content filter.
The web syslog for the Firewall is blank despite checking every syslog checkbox I can see in the admin interface for the rules/filters etc etc
The CD provided syslog utility doesn't allow me to select my router (I suspect it's because I'm plugged into the second LAN port on the desktop as opposed to the first ?)

What I would like to do is to have 1 user called 'kids', 1 user called 'dad'. Dad gets no outbound filtering, Kids get a set of filters that I can define to block specific sites or keywords, or use a white list approach to block everything other that specific sites I grant (I don't wish to pay an annual subscription for the web content filtering...I actually had the impression from the advertised feature that this was built into the firmware and highly configurable but now see it's a premium service on top).

so...not particularly happy so far as I can't even get a one word filter on a URL to work and can't even debug it via the syslogs....

I'm also seeing odd behaviour when I try to set the rules up..they seem to dissappear or not be selectable...for example having just gone back into a User Profile, I can't even see the Set #2 rule 2 that I was using above...only get the options Default and [create rule] now...I can see Set #2 Rule #2 in the filter setup active and enabled...

is anyone else having basic configuration issues with this router/firmware ?

thanks,
Ant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cookan
  • Topic Author
More
24 Mar 2012 19:06 #71666 by cookan
Replied by cookan on topic Re: 2830n with 3.3.7sb ( 3.3.7_232201)
ahhhhh....I'm getting there now ;-)

Found some really useful User Management related guides on the US Draytek site that weren't on the UK site that also showed the flowcharts for how the filters are executed...really helpful ! Could I suggest Draytek somehow sync the individual territories website sites so us UK default users don't miss out on nuggets of information ? It's definately worth putting the flowchart in the comprehensive 357 page user manual also..

http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=906

I didn't realise until reading this on the US site that an 'Active' rule meant it wasn't allowed as a user rule (hence my rules dissappearing from the policy drop down when I instinctively made them 'active'). Could I suggest draytek perhaps modify the web admin interface in a future release so that you use one page for 'user filter' rules an another page for 'automatic filter' rules to avoid the confusion over the meaning of the word 'active'

I even got the syslog tool working which was I must admit, an RTFM issue ;-)

So I'm pretty much there with the guides from the US site and at least more confident that the web content filtering would work if I chose to subscribe..

Ant.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami