DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 with 3G Dongle - can't connect inbound

• linker3000
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2012 11:47 #71688 by linker3000
Hi,

I have to place some computer kit in a temporary location where the only connection will be via 3G so I have hooked a dongle to a 2820 - it's connecting to the Internet fine and outbound does as expected from my desktop PC (setup for testing) - browsing, email etc. - the works.

Trouble is, the real use is for an inbound (ssh) connection to check system logs and do admin work, and things don't work in that direction - from the outside world I can't get to the management interface on the 2820, nor ping it (ping is enabled). I'm wondering if I'm missing some knowledge on how 3G data connections and routers work together - for example:

I have setup dyndns on the router and its address is updated correctly whenever its booted - it becomes the same address as the 2820 shows for its WAN IP and GWY IP (they show the same 10.x.x.x address), but if I visit a 'what is my iP' type site from my PC connected to the router I get a completely different IP address in the range 194.x.x.x and pinging any of them from across the Internet gets no result.

So is there any magic to make it possible to connect successfully inbound to my kit via the 3G connection, or am I going to have to consider some form of outbound-pushed (VPN?) setup.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2012 14:04 #71692 by nealuk
You need more of a business 3G data package, with no restrictions on incoming, and a static / fixed IP. As your current 3G provider is blocking what you need (i.e. the local IP you get of 10.*.*.* behind the isps firewall). The easiest way would be for the provider to give you a static/fixed IP.

I have used Wireless Logic before to provide a 3G connection via Vodafone with a real fixed IP, nothing blocked etc.

Also, Nucleus Networks have short term offerings.

I have also heard of some success with 'Three' but haven't had first hand experience of them yet.

Regards, Neal

• linker3000
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2012 15:08 #71697 by linker3000
Replied by linker3000 on topic Re: 2820 with 3G Dongle - can't connect inbound
Thanks Neal,

I've done a bit more reading and it pretty much echoes what you state.

I have managed to get an IPSec VPN running between two 2820s, one with a Virgin Dongle, but the connection tends to die as soon as I try and do anything over it - so far I have managed to get an ssh login on a remote server but the connection drops around the time I hit enter on the username.

I'll check out the companies you mention.

Edit 2nd April 2012:

Looks like we had a duff SIM and having replaced it I can run an IPSec VPN using a 3G dongle connecting to a second, ADSL-based, 2820 for as long as I like without it dropping and with no need for a Fixed IP SIM. Having said that, the intended installation will not be between two Draytek units and so I will need the fixed IP SIM for that particular setup to allow desktop users to connect directly to the router.

Moderators: Sami