Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n: should I load the new firmware?

• lscolman
  • Topic Author
More
27 Mar 2012 14:23 #71694 by lscolman
2850n: should I load the new firmware? was created by lscolman
Hi,

Had my 2850n for a month now, and it is streets ahead of my previous Netgear and Linksys products.

I am a little confused about the ADSL modem codes that are posted with the firmware upgrades.

I have the original firmware installed, and this has a modem code of 232201. The newest firmware lists a modem code of 2471201:-

Release Notes for Vigor2850 series

Firmware Version : 3.6.1 (Formal Release)
Release Date : 1st March 2012
Build Date : 15th February 2012
Applicable Models : Vigor2850, Vigor2850n, Vigor2850Vn
ADSL Modem Code : 2471201
Locale : UK Only / Annex A Only

Can I apply this firmware, or is it not designed for my 2850n ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Lee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2012 14:35 #71695 by wildoat
Replied by wildoat on topic Re: 2850n: should I load the new firmware?
I have had 3.6.1on my 2850n since release and works fine - cant say though that I have noticed any major improvements. I downloaded from UK site: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html - that implies it is ok for Uk use. W.

• lscolman
  • Topic Author
More
28 Mar 2012 08:46 #71703 by lscolman
Replied by lscolman on topic Re: 2850n: should I load the new firmware?
Hi,
I was convinced I had the original firmware, but checking again I have 3.3.6.1 with modem code 232201.

The Build Date is July 2011. Is this related to the firmware or the modem production date?

Cheers, Lee

More
28 Mar 2012 11:51 #71710 by wildoat
Replied by wildoat on topic Re: 2850n: should I load the new firmware?
Firmware I believe. I think that is the original firmware whereas the new firmware adds IP6 but I am not an expert!! W.

More
23 Apr 2012 13:31 #71997 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: 2850n: should I load the new firmware?
Would you beleive that my free bt homehub 3 out performs 2 draytek routers one 2830vn+ and one 2850vn, they both completly random will start building up crcs in there 1000,s clocking the router and starting at 0 again, it seem i have waisted £700 on these 2 routers, ive not had any major buildups of crcs with the homehub3 on bt and i havnt lost any throughput since plugin it back in,, with my draytek routers i will loose my throughput completly because of the crcs, ive tried all firmwares for both routers, thers no way i can get 2 dodgy routers one after the other and both have the same fault, so it all routers either a hardware problem or there firmware,i just cant believe it, i wanted a better router than bt home hub now im not purchasing any brand at all, im sticking with this stupid hub cause it works.

More
23 Apr 2012 13:44 #71998 by boe323
Replied by boe323 on topic Re: 2850n: should I load the new firmware?
Also both the draytek routers will completly stop me from using the internet whrn im downloading using bittorent, if i opened up the webbrowser it would report as having no connection, when i run diagnose it says the router as a problem try resseting it, it does this with 2830vn+and 2850vn, when bittorent is downloading it cant utilise all my bandwith either wich would indicate that theres plenty to open a webpage but i cant, thers a serious problem with these, i didnt want to admit it and kept on using them but in the end i gave up and went back to homehub where i can download with bittorent and browse, if i shut of bittorent (closed it) my connection light on the drayteks would still flash as though it was still downloading, seems that the port is still open after closing the torrent program,which still stops me from browsing so i have to reset.Why are £300 routers so damn buggy and useless, there buisness routers man, they should be better than mainstream routers.

Moderators: Sami