DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850 dropping PPPoE

• stepster
  • Topic Author
More
03 Apr 2012 20:37 #71783 by stepster
2850 dropping PPPoE was created by stepster
I'm connecting to Zen with a 2850Vn. The VDSL connection seems very stable, but I'm having trouble with the PPPoE connection. The router seems to drop the PPPoE periodically which is getting rather frustrating! The longest it's remained connected has been just under 2hrs although somewhere around 12mins is more common, but sometimes just a couple of minutes. The router instantly tries to re-connect, but if this happens mid page load/video play/phone call etc, the connection is lost.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? I have a block of 8IPs with Zen and was previously using the BT Openreach adaptor with a Netgear router. The connection was perfectly stable with this setup.

I've got a support ticket open with Draytek at the moment, but so far they're drawn a blank. I've now also asked Zen to see if they can offer any clues.

Am I really the only one with this problem? If so, maybe I have a dud :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2012 22:20 #71893 by pauljo
Replied by pauljo on topic Re: 2850 dropping PPPoE
I'm also having this problem. The longest connection has been about 5 hours but it's usually less than an hour. I noticed the s/n ratio varies a lot and I thought it was a line fault until I read your post. I have also contacted zen technical to help.

I am going to go back to BTs modem once i have hacked it so i can get the line stats from it.

• stepster
  • Topic Author
More
14 Apr 2012 22:53 #71894 by stepster
Replied by stepster on topic Re: 2850 dropping PPPoE
Zen advised me to return to the BT OR modem, which I've done (via the 2850 WAN2). They say they're unable to run diagnostics unless it's used. I now get a solid and fast connection. Draytek have had my router logs and are unable to provide a solution. It appears I'll need a firmware fix which they don't currently have.

More
14 Apr 2012 23:27 #71895 by pauljo
Replied by pauljo on topic Re: 2850 dropping PPPoE
That's good to know its a router fault. I will revert back to the BT Modem too.

Zen told me that because of all the connection drops and me rebooting the router , BT have reduced my sync speed to try and keep a stable connection. I need to ask them to increase it again.

Will look out for a future firmware upgrade.

Moderators: Sami