DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

loss of dsl connection

• tombeetham
  • Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2012 22:19 #71838 by tombeetham
loss of dsl connection was created by tombeetham
I have a netgear wndr4000 connected to a vigor 120.
Whenever I receive an incoming call I lose my dsl connection.
I have had the modem sent back to draytek & have just received it back today
& it is just the same.Has anyone got any suggestions to help solve this problem.
ps.
Ive also had the incoming line checked by BT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2012 10:29 #71842 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: loss of dsl connection
Your description sounds like a Microfiler issue. The ringing telephone signal is leaking out to the frequency range which the dsl uses.

Carefully check the route of your incoming line, the Master Socket, how any telephone extensions are wired, the hardwired ones, to the bottom faceplate of the master socket, and any loose run extensions, things that are easy to overlook, such as any interuder alarm diallers, the old 56K modem you've left plugged in "just in case" etc.

Ensure devices are appropriately microfiltered. Perhaps swap any suspect filters with "known good" microfilters, as they do occasionally go wrong. If your line and cabling arrangements allow, consider a centralised master socket filter such as http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm or http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105

Also, what is the logo on the master socket? e.g. BT Pied Piper logo, or "openreach" embossed in white - the master socket does occasionally go daft.

Out of interest, is your Vigor 120 Version 1 or the newer Version 2 and who is your ISP?

Thanks and best regards,

Neal

• tombeetham
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2012 21:41 #71850 by tombeetham
Replied by tombeetham on topic Re: loss of dsl connection
Hi Neal,
Master socket is openreach & has just been renewed,although it has been known to replace a suspect m/socket with another duff one.
When I was testing,the modem was plugged into the test socket,thus disconnecting,all internal wiring.I have also took the modem to 2
seperate locations today & the modem worked normally as it should with no disconnects.this seems to imply that the fault lies with the external wiring.My ISP, Orange has already had a BT engineer to check the line & they say it is OK.I seem to be at an impasse with all departments saying their equip. is OK

• tombeetham
  • Topic Author
More
11 Apr 2012 21:46 #71851 by tombeetham
PS
vigor 120 is version 2 & the firmware is the latest version (3.2.6)
I have also tried several new filters into the test socket

More
12 Apr 2012 10:52 #71855 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: loss of dsl connection
It sounds like you've already checked the wiring carefully, I did once have a line where an Alarm company had daisy chained on to the incoming BT A and B - and I didn't spot this initially, when only removing the bottom half face plate! But if the Master Socket has been replaced then I think this rules out any similar issue.

If you can reveal the test socket, plug in Microfilter, plug in a corded telephone handset in the Phone side of the Microfilter, plug in the Vigor 120 to the ADSL side of the microfilter, connect a PC or laptop direct to the 120, and show the Status page. Dial 17070 (BT Linetest which the cutomer is fully permitted to use) and perform a Ringback Test (option1) then as the call comes in and the phone rings, the Vigor 120 loses Sync, then I think you have a good setup to prove, without question, to an Openreach engineer that there is definately a line problem.

I know how frustrating it is battling with the companies when there are faults.

What happens when you carry out a Quiet Line test on 17070 ? Is it crackle free?

I often find that the best way to resolve Broadband faults like this, is to progress a Voice Fault/Problem with the line rental company.

Regards, Neal

• tombeetham
  • Topic Author
More
12 Apr 2012 11:56 #71857 by tombeetham
Hi,
I,ve performed a quiet line test as you suggested & it's OK,will now try & find a corded phone.
The modems DSL light flashes when disconnection occurs,will this be enough to show the BT engineer,when I can finally
convince orange to request one
thanks Tom

Moderators: Sami