DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 WAN 1 Down notification

More
12 Apr 2012 15:27 #71861 by micklep
2820 WAN 1 Down notification was created by micklep
Hi,

I am new to drayek products but i'm not a big fan, I have successfully configured the 2820 to load balance two wan connections (One through ADSL, the other through the Ethernet on WAN 2 via ADSL modem).

The problem is as follows, we can send email through both Fixed IP addresses but can only recieve through one (forwarded on by mail defender)

If the main line goes down (Wan 1), i would need to be notified so i can get Mail Defender to forward our mail onto the other IP. I am aware that this is an option when you set a failover broadband line but cannot find any work around for a load balancing set up.

Any help is greatly Appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2012 16:26 #71864 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820 WAN 1 Down notification
Some mail processing services allow you to specify in their control panel destination delivery addresses.
You'd need to add the second one in here. In the Mail Defender Control Panel since

micklep wrote: ...I am aware that this is an option when you set a failover broadband line but cannot find any work around...

I don't think your understaning is correct.

I have had this working a treat with Postini, but a more elderly service, such as Nildram Email Scan was only designed for one destination IP delivery address, so in times of outages had to be updated manually in their control panel.

Regards, Neal

More
16 Apr 2012 09:15 #71900 by micklep
Replied by micklep on topic Re: 2820 WAN 1 Down notification

nealuk wrote: Some mail processing services allow you to specify in their control panel destination delivery addresses.
You'd need to add the second one in here.

Hi Neal,

Firstly, thanks for your reply. I am aware that some mail services allow you to add a secondary IP to forward the mail to, for mail defender this is not the case. I can easily switch over the IP when needed but I just need to be notified by the router when it disconnects from WAN 1.

I have tried to use Syslog mail alert, this only notifies me if someone access the VPN and is a pretty useless feature tbh.

Regards

Peter

More
16 Apr 2012 12:08 #71908 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820 WAN 1 Down notification
Hi Peter,

does this sound like it may help: http://www.draytek.com/user/SupportAppnotesDetail.php?ID=1317 ?

or, best I can think of, is if I was working in that site and wanted improved monitoring, then give your PC a fixed IP Un-Load-Balance your IP - e.g. 192.168.1.99 uses only WAN1 - then if your interent fails likely check the connection status. Or you could use a monitoring product like "The Dude" to ping the WAN1 ISP gateway, and if it fails notify you.

Regards, Neal

More
17 Apr 2012 16:58 #71925 by micklep
Replied by micklep on topic Re: 2820 WAN 1 Down notification

nealuk wrote: or, best I can think of, is if I was working in that site and wanted improved monitoring, then give your PC a fixed IP Un-Load-Balance your IP - e.g. 192.168.1.99 uses only WAN1 - then if your interent fails likely check the connection status.

Both great ideas, the one I would like to use is the one above, this means I could create a bat to constantly ping the server, if it doesn,t work i will be able to see when it went offline.

I have looked into the load balancing policies and can't quite figure our how to do it. I set the src start and end IP to 192.168.1.24 (A PC i set aside just for this sort of thing) and un-checked "Auto failover over to wan 1" but my internet connection remained active on the PC in question.

Sorry to be a pest about this!

More
17 Apr 2012 19:35 #71928 by scoobler
Replied by scoobler on topic Re: 2820 WAN 1 Down notification
I maybe missing the point, but you could allow incomming pings (sorry I only have the 2830 to go off, but under System Maintainence -> Management -> untick Disable PING from the Internet) and then use a service like http://www.pingdom.com (they allow one ping check per free account) to ping the main IP every x minutes, it can then notify you if it fails to reach you on the main IP. You can also set it to only alert you if it fails x times in a row - so if its only down for 1 minute it won't bother, if its down for 3 consecutive tries you get the email - they offer SMS messages too, but I'm not sure if you have to pay - gives you a nice uptime report too.

Moderators: Sami