DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Setting up WAN2 with a NetGear Router on a Draytek 2830

• bradley porter
  • Topic Author
More
20 Apr 2012 15:13 #71964 by bradley porter
Dear All,

I hope someone can put me out of my misery!

I have a Draytek 2830 and a NetGear DGN 2200 and two ADSL lines within the premises. Both are ADSL Routers and the 2830 is a dual WAN.

What I want to do is use the NetGear as a ADSL modem and 'plumb' it into the WAN2 line of the Draytek for resilence/load-balancing. This is proving very difficult to do and wonder:

1. Is it possible to attach the NetGear (and therefore the 2nd ADSL connection) into the 2830 WAN2 PORT and therefore enjoy load balancing?
2. If the answer to the above is yes, any ideas on what settings I should look at and any tips?

Thank you very much in advance.

Bradley Porter

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2012 16:25 #71967 by frag
This should be possible. There are 2 basic options:

1. Leave the netgear acting as a router. It should just be a case of configuring the WAN2 port on the draytek to rwork in static/dynamic mode and telling it to obtain an IP address automatically.

OR

2. Configure the netgear to work in bridge mode. Then configure WAN2 as a PPPoE connection.

• bradley porter
  • Topic Author
More
22 Apr 2012 21:17 #71992 by bradley porter

Frag wrote: Leave the netgear acting as a router. It should just be a case of configuring the WAN2 port on the draytek to rwork in static/dynamic mode and telling it to obtain an IP address automatically.

That worked a treat - thank you very much indeed for the pointer.

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

• bradley porter
  • Topic Author
More
23 Apr 2012 22:04 #72001 by bradley porter
Alas - another problem!

I now have a WAN1 and WAN2 setup working nicely using the STATIC/DYNAMIC IP method. All is well and if I pull the plug out the WAN2 socket, all traffic routes through WAN1 to the Internet. Lovely.

However, what it does not do is detect when the Internet is down on WAN2 - if you pull the CAT plug out then it works BUT not if the WAN2 Internet is down.

Any ideas? How do I get the router to know that the connection to the other router is UP but that routers Internet is DOWN?

Brad

Kind regards,
Bradley Porter

More
24 Apr 2012 10:18 #72006 by nealuk

Bradley Porter wrote: ...However, what it does not do is detect when the Internet is down on WAN2 - if you pull the CAT plug out then it works BUT not if the WAN2 Internet is down...

This is bacause the NetGear DGN 2200 LAN is always up and running ( e.g. your 2830 shows on the status that wan 2 is up with local network ip such as 192.168.1.1 ) irrespective of the connection status to the internet.

If you follow Frags other suggestion of putting the DGN 2200 in to Bridge Mode, and configure WAN2 as a PPPoE connection - the 2830 would actually manage the connection, and status page would show the WAN network IP e.g. 85.12.34.56 which would only be there when the internet connection is really available.

This would have the failover routing working as you'd expect. Best regards, Neal

Moderators: Sami