DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2012 16:56 #71980 by dcrobinson1965
Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem was created by dcrobinson1965
My DSL connection is being upgraded to FTTC VDSL2 next week. I have a 2850n and am hoping to use the VDSL modem part of this and remove the Openreach-supplied box.

My ISP informs me that this could be a mistake; specifically...

"I have also been informed that BT will sometimes attempt to send updates through to the modem automatically and, if it is not detected on the line, they would suspend your account. This would then require an Openreach engineer to attend on site to enable the reconnection, and would likely result in an engineer charge being applied. Removing the BT modem would also impact our ability to run diagnostic tests against the line - we would not be able to view any of the line stats for your circuit."

I'm not too worried about the line-stats part, but I am alarmed by the bit about failing to detect an Openreach modem, and then suspending my account.

Do you think this is something I should be worried about? I am keen to save a power socket, some cables, and a few quid a year on electricity... but not if I have to keep paying £100 to get my connection re-enabled. Do you think it's advisable to discuss this with the Openreach engineer when he does the install?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2012 16:33 #72201 by ianritchie
Replied by ianritchie on topic Re: Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem
I just had mine installed today and the Openreach engineer didn't know anything other than what he had been told at training so he couldn't confirm one way or the other.

I find I'm having to use the Openreach modem anyway as my 2850n won't sync to the VDSL on WAN1.

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2012 19:44 #72203 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem
The engineer who installed mine apparently said (I wasn't there unfortunately) that he was expdecting me to plug my own modem in after he'd left! However, I'm going to wait a month or so to give my line time to train, and for BT to iron out any issues with the 80/20 service, before I try it.

My understanding of the settings for the 2850 are that you leave them on automatic, except for the VLAN tag which you have to set to 101. Have you tried that?

More
12 May 2012 11:31 #72205 by ianritchie
Replied by ianritchie on topic Re: Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem
Yes, I tried that but it just fails to sync :(

• dcrobinson1965
  • Topic Author
More
26 May 2012 08:14 #72355 by dcrobinson1965
Replied by dcrobinson1965 on topic Re: Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem
Just been brave enough to try mine, and it won't sync either. The 2850 just keeps going around the handshaking buoy!

I'm on Infinity 2, and getting over 75mbps out of the Openreach modem, but I'd really prefer to use the DrayTek.

More
31 May 2012 10:47 #72390 by unfy2012
Replied by unfy2012 on topic Re: Use of non-Openreach VDSL modem
I just had mine installed today and the Openreach engineer didn't know anything other than what he had been told at training so he couldn't confirm one way or the other.

Moderators: Sami