DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820 vs BT Business Hub 3

• dcgillespie
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2012 20:35 #71981 by dcgillespie
2820 vs BT Business Hub 3 was created by dcgillespie
Can anyone help me please. I plug my kit into the Draktek 2820 and test on speedtest.net. Upload is 0.71 Download is 5.65. I switch everything over to the new BT Business Broadband Hub3 into exactly the same ADSL 2 line. Upload is 0.71 but download is 8.75 - which is 50% better. Yes I am running the very latest Draytek Firmware but I am at the extent of my knowledge here and really need some help from anyone on this forum who can identify why there is such a huge discrepancy. An obvious answer would be for me just to use the BT Hub but it is nowhere nearly as clever or flexible as the Draytek. If anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2012 15:03 #71986 by scrinson
Replied by scrinson on topic Re: 2820 vs BT Business Hub 3
Hi mate, I've got exactly the same issue but with a 2830n and I've gone through extensive faultfinding - this is what I have done so far:

2830n purchased to replace Bt Business Hub, primarily for the VPN server and WIFI Guest Function
2830N repeatedly drops out using supplied firmware 3.3.6.1 and standard modem 223201 (i think that is correct)
speak to Draytek who tell me my SNR is low (9) and line attenuation which is an indication of distance from main exchange is 60 and therefore that is likely to be my issue
Draytek recommend firmware code 211801 (for noisy lines or slow connection speeds)
Router fails to connect with this firmware

Despite multiple communications with Draytek I have not resolved this issue, the Draytek connects at around 1.5 and d/l at 0.9, BT hub connects at 3.3 and d/l at around 2.5 but more importantly is rock solid.

Ive tried connecting at the master BT Socket via the test connection to rule out issues with the extension and also had protracted discussion with Bt who have been very helpful

However the end result is that currently the Draytek is not fit for my purposes which is a shame as it has all of the functionality I require.

I'll post back if there are any further developments - good luck

Gary

• dcgillespie
  • Topic Author
More
22 Apr 2012 18:02 #71988 by dcgillespie
Replied by dcgillespie on topic Re: 2820 vs BT Business Hub 3
Thanks for this Gary. I did manage to find some QoS settings and bandwidth management things that someone had set up on the Draytek a while ago which I removed and got a bit of an improvement but if the BT Hub can get 8Mb for me there is no reason why the Draytek should not. I am at the extent of my knowledge here and so am not able to do any more. I have emailed Draytek support and hopefully someone will pick this up tomorrow. If only they would allow me to send them my configuration file and let them have a look at the settings I am pretty sure they could see what the issue is. I want to keep the Draytek as it is all set up with all the dial in and VPN settings which I need and I don't want to lose these settings. The BT Hub can't really handle the dial in connections I need. The very helpful Tech guy at BT told me that the Draytek was a superior router and I should persevere with it. However with such a dramatic difference in download speed it is hard! Thanks for taking the time to look at my stuff.

More
22 Apr 2012 19:09 #71989 by scrinson
Replied by scrinson on topic Re: 2820 vs BT Business Hub 3
Hi,
There are two things u can do which will allow Draytek to see your config. The first is to download the sys log utility from here http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html. You can then monitor what the router is doing for a period and email the resultant text file to Draytek. The second and one which they may request, is to allow external management of the router. They will request your Wan IP and ask you to ensure external management is enabled from within the router settings.

Regards

Gary

Moderators: Sami