Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn FTTC and other q's

• puregeordie
  • Topic Author
More
25 Apr 2012 12:04 #72019 by puregeordie
2820Vn FTTC and other q's was created by puregeordie
Hi all,

A few Q's if I may and apologies for the variation in them, rather just post one thread!

Going to get in touch with BT as it appears that only a few lines into our business can only get FTTC and others cannot after doing the BT wholesale line checker online, so looking at seeing if its possible to get first, don't know why some can and some cannot going to the same buidling.
Unless the online checker is telling porkies.

Firstly can this router be used as an FTTC enabled using the 2nd WAN, I take it BT come out and install a WAN modem connected to the BT line and then
you connect this to your 2nd WAN and setup, or something like that. Not entirley sure how or what to be honest! Or buy another router which I don't mind doing. Having a fax on the same line may cause problems with this as well which I've just heard reading forums, but again not sure.

Also our existing line ADSL2 isn't the best in the world due to our location line length etc (4800 metres from the exchange to premises), currently on this line our SNR is 6 and Loop attenuation is 54. Also the green box is about 600 metres away.
My router is firmware version 3.3.5.2 232201 and apparantly looking at the release notes I should change the modem code to 211801 on lower quality
lines. I must admit we get drop outs every now and then even though the router says its connected its not!

Sorry forgot to ask how do I change the modem code on the router to this number as well?

any help regards my Q's is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance for reading.

PG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2012 12:48 #72020 by nealuk
Replied by nealuk on topic Re: 2820Vn FTTC and other q's

puregeordie wrote: ...Having a fax on the same line may cause problems with this as well which I've just heard reading forums, but again not sure...

As long as the microfiltering is appropriate on the line this won't be a problem.

In the case of FTTC the openreach engineer fits a centralised filter such as which should remove the possibilty of customer filtering gaffs - making the voice part of the line all good for the lovely fax machine.

puregeordie wrote: ...our existing line ADSL2 isn't the best in the world due to our location line length etc...

puregeordie wrote: ...I should change the modem code to 211801 on lower quality lines. I must admit we get drop outs every now and then even though the router says its connected its not!
Sorry forgot to ask how do I change the modem code on the router to this number as well?...

The Modem Code is incorporeted in to the firmware. So, to change the modem code, simply load the Firmware release you prefer. In your case I think you'd want this file: ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2820/Firmware/V3.3.5.2/AnnexA/Vigor2820V3.3.5.2A211801.zip

Best regards,

Neal

• puregeordie
  • Topic Author
More
25 Apr 2012 14:32 #72023 by puregeordie
Replied by puregeordie on topic Re: 2820Vn FTTC and other q's
Thanks for your repy neal, any answers to my Q's please?

So the Vigor 2820 is good for Fibre?
Do BT have to supply their own modem for me to connect to a router for Fibre?
I just add and configure BT's WAN modem to my router it on the second WAN?
I cannot change the modem code and keep the latest router firware and its part of the firware even though draytek tell you to change it?

ta.

More
25 Apr 2012 16:18 #72024 by cocospm
Replied by cocospm on topic Re: 2820Vn FTTC and other q's

puregeordie wrote: Thanks for your repy neal, any answers to my Q's please?

So the Vigor 2820 is good for Fibre?
Do BT have to supply their own modem for me to connect to a router for Fibre?
I just add and configure BT's WAN modem to my router it on the second WAN?
I cannot change the modem code and keep the latest router firware and its part of the firware even though draytek tell you to change it?

ta.

Yes, the 2820 is good for FTTC. BT will install an Openreach modem, which you simply hook up to WAN2 with an Ethernet patch cable and configure WAN2 for PPPoE. Worked fine here (although I'm now on a 2850n, for other reasons). Remember to patch up any port forwarding or open ports you have in the 2820 so that they forward from WAN2 instead of WAN1.

Also, use of BT's Openreach modem is currently compulsory with FTTC. While you can technically hook up a VDSL-compatible router directly to the new socket with an RJ11 cable, 'tis best not to, as BT may well end up suspending your account in time. I have had this confirmed by both PlusNet (my broadband supplier) and the BT engineer who did the work here.

Once you go to fibre, I don't see any reason to switch modem codes, either.

• puregeordie
  • Topic Author
More
26 Apr 2012 09:45 #72032 by puregeordie
Replied by puregeordie on topic Re: 2820Vn FTTC and other q's
Thanks cocospm.

Been of great help. Now to get fibre.

cheers. :)

Moderators: Sami